question

bocherteric avatar image
bocherteric asked

ESS MODE 3- minute long latency setting power setpoint 1(Register37) with Modbus

Dear community,

I have implemented a C++/Modbus Interface. I want to feed in or take power from my LV System to be able to react to power surges created by a drag power kite feeding in power into my system. I am new to Victron products and currently only testing basic commands.

Here is what I do:

I set the power setpoint to 100 Watt (Register 37). Once I get the ok that the power setpoint has been correctly set, I start a timer to measure the time it takes until the actual power Input matches my setpoint. (Expecting this to take a couple hundred milliseconds). I then repeatedly read the Input Power 1 (Register 12) and stop the timer once setpoint and power are the same. The problem is, that this takes up to 3 minutes!

It is crucial for my application however that this happens as quickly as possible. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Thank you in advance and all the best

Eric

Multiplus-IIESSModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Simon Fey avatar image
Simon Fey answered ·

Hi @bocherteric,

there are several situations which can cause a delay to your setpoint. Just to name a few:

- You may not yet be connected to the grid (depending on your country code this can take up to a few minutes after you start the system)

- Your DC Voltage may be (have been) low (and prevent you from feeding into the grid)

When your system is operational you can expect the Multiplus 2 GX to follow your setpoint within 5-10 seconds. I have not seen a Victron Inverter that does provide the power within "a couple hundred milliseconds".

Regards

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.