question

Mika Haikio avatar image
Mika Haikio asked

BYD with DC system

We have many Telecom sites installed with CCGX and max 3 150/100 smart solar MPPT's. Only DC supply. Backup generator is controlled by CCGX and if needed it is charging batteries thru Huawei rectifier. For new sites we would like to use BYD 13.8 storages so is there any issues expected as there is no inverter connected. @Guy

BYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I have two sources of information regarding this question:

One is the statement from BYD's Australian Service Agent, and another from Matthijs from Victron.

BYD's Statement

Generally speaking the answer is No, this is not supported.
There are two uncertainties, one on Victron side and another on Huawei Rectifier side. The CCGX can communicate with BYD 13.8. But the combination without inverter (CCGX + MPPT+13.8) was not tested. BYD can not say for sure if the CCGX can control MPPT’s charge current without the inverter, without testing it. And BYD does not know whether Huawei rectifiers can charge the battery system – not tested either.

Victron's Statement

The CCGX + MPPT work well together: the MPPTs are controlled on voltage by the BYD, via the CCGX.
So as long as the Huawei rectifier doesn't do anything erratic or unusual, it will be fine.
If the Huawei is configured to charge with a reasonable, not too high, fixed voltage, it will also work fine.

Further to that while the CCGX will control the generator, there is no inherent direct control of the rectifier.

There are some control conditions that are required by BYD, specifically reduced charge currents under temperatures below 12 degrees. If you are able to climate control the system, this should not be an issue.

Disclaimer on customised configurations.

Victron is responsible for their equipment and very clear with how it works, and that it should perform as you would expect.

However, at least in Australia, BYD's battery warranty conditions require registration of the installation and a description of the system and its components, which are installed in an approved manner.

I hope this gives you some more information and allows you to make your own decision for your site.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I have reached out to one of my contacts at BYD for a comment.

update - see approved answer above.

2 comments
2 |3000

macimau avatar image macimau commented ·

Hello,

sorry for my OT but I'm looking for any help in order to decode the SOC of a BYD B-Box LV from the modbus of the BMS in order to develop an arduino-like for the automation of a little airport runway lights (off-grid).

Is there any resouces available? also in a non disclosure agreement.

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ macimau commented ·

Sorry to say that sounds a little far out of my area of expertise. Good luck with the project.

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems answered ·

You would at least need to control the charge voltage to not deliver any more than 56v DC to the BYD's. There are relay contacts on the front panel of the BMU which can be used to disconnect charging when 100% SOC is reached. I would however advise to use Victron Multi for just battery charging to ensure the BYD's do not get damaged.. They are not cheap!

2 |3000