question

gary-c avatar image
gary-c asked

Constant overload warnings on multiplus using ess

I have a case with a 5 Kva multi using 5kwp of pv capacity. Has 3 x us 3000 pylontech Life batteries. Using ESS and feeding back to grid. On a daily basis without any significant load. (Max 3.5 kva) the system recieives multiple overload warnings in the Vrm advanced page. This appears to be in the day only and normally afternoons . Could this be related to too much power feeding back to the grid through the inverter. If so what are my options to reduce or remove this condition. Do i need to throttle the PV output.. Is the PV likely to be causing this problem or is is only load output related.

warnings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Gary,

actually I dont think its directly related to the PV being fed in. more likely its due to high impedance grid connection, see Q8 here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual.

as long as they are warnings, there is not much to worry about. You could check wiring between the utility connection and the multis, and increase / improve that. But you can also simply change the overload setting in the quattro/Multi alarms menu on the GX Device to Alarm only.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gary-c avatar image gary-c commented ·

@mvader Thank you for the feedback. The AC in and Ac out for this 5 kva is 10mmsq. I would have thought it enough in terms of cable rating. A comment by another work colleage is that it may be because in ESS mode the inverter is almost constantly in inverter mode in the day. So the inverter is made to work harder constantly. Could this be possible. If so what would be a safe ratio of PV solar kwp to inverter KVa ratio to prevent this.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw gary-c commented ·

@Gary c These inverters are designed to run "forever" as they are often used off-grid. I have a system only running off-grid 24x7 and it has not had as much as one hiccup since implementation in March 2019.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ejrossouw commented ·

thanks. Also note that, while connected to the grid, having a PV Inverter connected on the output feeding back to the grid does not posy any load whatsoever to the Multi. All the current/power is just flowing from AC-out to AC-in via wires and relays.

"In Inverter mode" can mean many things by the way, some people saying that mean that its islanded, ie not connected to the grid. Which its not in an ESS system, unless grid has failed.

In summary I really think you're having a different issue.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic