question

pharyn avatar image
pharyn asked

BYD Low Voltage 3.5 to 14.0kWh Compatibility

Good day.

I am aware that 13.8kWh is compatible with Victron Energy products.

I want one find out if the B-Plus L 3.5 (3.5kWh modules) are compatible for use in a hybrid/offgrid solar, single phase system.

Thank you.

Taiwo Olajide

BYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Grid connected - yes,

Hybrid backup - yes,

Offgrid - no.

EDIT - The Victron BYD Battery Manual has now been updated to include this battery -

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin commented ·

I am also interested in these batteries.

Please can you elaborate on the difference between "Hybrid back-up" and "Offgrid".

Specifically, if I lost the grid in a hybrid grid tied situation would these batteries work to keep me with power?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Phil Gavin commented ·

This is a VERY unsatisfying answer but the definition of Hybrid-Backup is the grid is connected MOST of the time, with occasional blackouts.

Beyond that, if you want a robust power supply, it should be designed as if it WAS off grid, with regards to inverter sizing, kWh and current limits of the batteries.

For this particular model you will require the grid connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the attempt.

The attraction of these particular batteries is the very fact of their ability to scale up to 42 KWh to meet the requirement of being off-grid.

Their currents limits & cycling capability seem suitable too, so yes I am still a bit puzzled as to why they are deemed unsuitable.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Phil Gavin commented ·

I’m afraid that the only one that can answer that is BYD. They state the battery to be not for offgrid.

Note that their other batteries are also scalable. Its not only this one. An overview is in the link that Guy posted.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ Phil Gavin commented ·

It’s probably because they extend a generous 10 year warranty.

On-grid these batteries won’t cycle nearly as much.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide