question

selwyn avatar image
selwyn asked

Venus GX with BlueSolar MPPT CAN and BlueNova Battery on CAN bus

I want to connect a BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 CAN and a BlueNova battery to a GX device. According to the BlueNova page on the VE site https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:bluenova

Select the VE.Can & CAN-bus BMS (250 kbaud) CAN-profile in the CCGX. Menu path: Settings → Services → CAN-profile. Note that this changes the function of a VE.Can port: it is not possible to connect both VE.Can products and a Bluenova battery together.

Andre has informed me that I should use a Venus GX as it has 2 CAN bus ports. What is not obvious from the documentation on the web is which CAN bus port on the Venus GX to use with which device.

Also, the second CAN bus port only has a 3 way connector and is not isolated. Can a non-isolated port be used? What is the cable connection to the 8 way CAN bus port on the Battery or the MPPT?

According to this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/19500/bluesolar-mppt-15085-can-bus-batrium-bms.html, the Venus GX cannot control the BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 CAN. If this is the case, then is there any merit in connecting it at all?

MPPT ControllersVenus OSCCGX Color Controlbluenova
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Selwyn; I recommend using the first canbus port on the Venus GX for the solar charger (leave/set the profile for that port to VE.Can); and the second port for the Bluenova (leave/set that port to canbus bms - 500kbps).

it will work fine that way.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james-e avatar image james-e commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)I have a Blue Solar MPPT 150/85 which connects to GX via CAN - there is an AGM battery monitored via BMV 702 via VE Direct.

the GX has 2 CAN ports - the current CAN setting is VE Can & Lynx Ion BMS (250kbits)

Now I want to replace the AGM battery with LiPO which has CAN bus (not a current supported battery by Victron hence I am not listing it) So my question is:

1. do I simply remove the end termination resistor from the 2nd CAN port on the GX and plug in battery

2. is it possible to configure different CAN settings for each port ?

3. I was going to leave the shunt and BMV 702 etc as I have it anyway, and it would be interesting to compare data from this and from the BMS via CAN - you see any problem with this?

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
selwyn avatar image selwyn commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) I cannot get the Venus to communicate with the BlueNova NG battery on the second CAN port. I have connected the battery to the second CAN port of the Venus (Pin 3=GND; pin 7 to CAN-H and pin 8 to CAN-L). I have set the port to CAN-bus (2) BMS (500 kbits/sec).

CAN-bus (1) is connected to a BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 CAN and it is working fine.

SOLVED:

The battery needed to be rebooted (disconnect power from system and switch off battery). The setting should be:

For BlueNova NG batteries the setting is VE.Can & CAN-bus BMS (250 kbits/sec)

For BlueNova HC batteries the setting is CAN-bus BMS (500 kbits/sec)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ selwyn commented ·

Thats good info, thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
colin-mackay avatar image colin-mackay mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

What is wiring/pin out connection for a Pylontech 3000C on Can 2 of venus?

In other words= how do i connect Pylontech to Venus CAN 2 port of i have a Bluesolar 150V 85A MPPT connected to CAN 1 port

0 Likes 0 ·
selwyn avatar image
selwyn answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources