question

yivelic avatar image
yivelic asked

VE.Bus Error 5

We have 2 Multi 24/5000 in parallel. I´m getting many Error 5 alerts (and shutdowns). They last app. 30 sec and the system goes up again. They usually happen when the generator starts automatically. We are on the 3 to 7,5 kW consumption range.

At first, I checked the AC Out wires(4mm2) for having the same length (which they didn´t, made them same length -1m-) but did not solve the situation.

Any idea?

VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Error 5 is overvoltage as you might have seen. First make sure the wiring is 100% symatrical. (the shorter the cabling the more critical it is to have the cabling symatrical).

Beside this, if there is anything connected on ACout which generates power (like a pv inverter) is switched/regulated

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yivelic avatar image yivelic commented ·

Johannes: it is very symmetrical. Maybe if I make it even longer or a smaller diameter (now it is 4 mm2)?

Nothing that generates power is connected on AC Out.

0 Likes 0 ·
powerboy avatar image powerboy commented ·

Hi Johannes Boonstra

Regarding your comment if there is a pv inverter on the a.c. out, what do we have to be aware of when getting error 5?

0 Likes 0 ·

Your generator is stabile enough to supply the correct voltage?, please have this tested first (or try with another AC source)

1 comment
2 |3000

yivelic avatar image yivelic commented ·

Yes. It´s a big 18kVA, very stable. The issue happens even without the generator on... I see it is happening when we have a fast peak in consumption.

Do you want to take a look to the VRM? maybe you´ll see something I don't see.

0 Likes 0 ·

When the AC voltage has that much variation also under consumption peaks you might have a look at the wiring as that's not what is expected. Also on the battery side, the battery is also powerful enough to have the DC voltage remain stabile? ( for 400A discharge you would need 1500-2000Ah batteries normally i would say , with 70-90mm2 to each unit)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic