question

alanw avatar image
alanw asked

Victron Multiplus 12/1200-50 (230V) cuts out when Genset routed through it

Following the failure of my previous (Freedom Combi) inverter/charger on my boat, I installed a Victron Multiplus 12/1200-50 (230V) unit. Although it seems to work okay with shorepower, I can't seem to get the Multiplus to work with the generator, which is an HFL Marriner 2 (H2W6MIC). In essence, the Multiplus cuts out as soon as I route the generator through it (via a shorepower/off/generator 3-way switch). The generator is therefore currently unusable.

The HFL generator is a 6KW 50Hz unit. Also in the system, if its relevant, is a Xantrex Link 200 battery management system, and a Victron Multi Control unit.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Its needed to set up the Multiplus correctly to avoid the the power from these small generators is being rejected. Therefore the Mutliplus needs to be connected to a computer using a MK2/MK3 converter and the Ve Configure software tool. When connected, de-select UPS mode and select wide input range. Be sure to set the AC input level at 80% of the theoratical max current (so if the generator is 6kW (and not kVA as thats about 80% of the Kw) it results in 20A)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alanw avatar image alanw commented ·

Johannes, I finally managed to get hold of an MK3-USB and tried to make the changes above. You say above to "set the AC input level at....20A" (for a 6kW generator) - when I tried to do this I received a "value not within boundaries" error message, ie the figure exceeds the 16A default maximum value. Can this maximum value be increased? If not, I assume that setting it at 16A is still okay, it's just that charging will take a bit longer?

Rgds, Alan

0 Likes 0 ·
alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

Thanks, Johannes. Just so I'm clear, can you confirm that the item in the link here https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb is the hardware that I need to buy?

Regards

Alan

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

There's also this article: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Yes, that's the correct interface. You may also need an RJ45 UTP cable if you don't have one 'lying about'.

You're not alone. I suffer this issue too with a Yamaha AVR genny.

2 |3000

alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

Great, thanks John.

Alan

2 |3000

alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

Johannes, do you think you could let me know the Victron part number for the MK3-USB interface. Going through Victron's website to locate UK dealers, a company called SMG gave me a part number ASS030530010, costing £25+VAT, but unfortunately they don't sell direct to retail customers. Their website also doesn't show an image of the part, so I can't tell definitively that its the same part as that shown in the link in my posting yesterday.

I then took the above part number and contacted a Victron retailer (Cactus) , who don't have any connectors on their website, but who said they'd sent me a quotation. This has arrived, but they've listed a different part number ASS030140000, costing £74.34. Again, no image of it so I can't tell if its the part in the link I posted here yesterday. And obviously, its much more expensive. And no information from them on why they've quoted for a different part number.

Alan

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

You do NOT want ASS030530010, that is USB - VE.Direct, no good for you.

You need ASS030140000
These folks carry it (I have no affiliation of course) https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/victron-energy-ass030140000.html

Just google ASS030140000 and you'll probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
alanw avatar image alanw wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks - I managed to get Cactus to price-match the batterymegastore price.

Alan

0 Likes 0 ·
alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

I finally received the MK3-USB interface connector a couple of days ago, and tried to hook it up to the inverter - unfortunately without success, as I can't seem to get past the Port Configuration point. I've plugged the RJ45 into one of the two connection ports, but can't seem to get the PC to talk to the inverter. In the photo below, the lower RJ45 is connected to the Victron Multi Control panel, and the upper RJ45 is connected to the MK3-USB and then on to the (Windows) laptop. The Multi Control & inverter are switch on. In VE Configure3 (version 90.04.208), I go to Port Selection and then Com Port & Auto Select, but then nothing of consequence happens, i.e. it doesn't connect. If I elect to manually select a Com Port, it lists COM1-COM8 but whichever I select VE Configure states "Cannot open port". I've tried switching out the RJ45 cable, but this had no effect. The only thing I haven't yet tried is to switch the two RJ45 cables around, to see whether that has any effect, but I can't see why it would. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It seems to me that the problem is between the computer and the MK3, a driver issue perhaps.
How does Windows Device Manager look, is there anything unusual in there?

1 comment
2 |3000

Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt commented ·

I had the same problem on my Windows 10 PC. Go to the "Special Tab" on the VE Configure main screen and select USB Drivers. This will download the drivers to a directory of your choice. When you plug the MK3 USB cable into your computer you should get a prompt about drivers. Select the option that allows you to select the location directory and install the drivers.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

Thanks. I'll possibly need to wait until I go to the boat again (sometime over the weekend) to look at that, as I left the MK3-USB on the boat. I did download the VE Configure via my desktop onto a pendrive, which I subsequently used to install the software on my laptop (as opposed to directly downloading the software onto my laptop). Its possible the laptop wasn't connected to the internet at that point, and looking at Victron's web notes on installing the USB driver, it may be that the driver wouldn't get automatically installed in this process. It might be worthwhile me removing VE Configure from the laptop and then re-installing it again directly to the laptop while its connected to the internet, and see if this makes any difference.

2 |3000

alanw avatar image
alanw answered ·

Pat, it looks like you were correct re it being the driver, so thanks for your help. Next step is to see if any of the software changes solve the generator issue.

Alan

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic