question

leroyplock avatar image
leroyplock asked

2017 Silverado/Orion-TR grounding question

Hi! Beginner here, so feel free to laugh at me if I've just gotten it all wrong.

I want to add a Smart Orion-TR DC-DC charger to my 2017 Chevy Silverado/Alaskan camper rig so the camper battery will charge when I'm going down the road. It looks like I want the non-isolated 12/12-30.

The pickup has 2 ground cables running from the starter battery's negative post. (Both are actually part of the same factory assembly.) One goes to the engine block and one to the chassis. There's no size labeling on the cables, but the chassis ground is clearly smaller than AWG 6 and engine block ground is clearly larger than AWG 6.

Per the Orion installation manual I should use AWG 6 wiring and 60A fuses. I'm pretty sure the existing chassis ground wire is too small to hand 59 amps, and so it could catch fire before the fuse blows.

Should i:

1. Ground the camper battery and the Orion to the engine block?

2. Run a second AWG 6 or larger cable parallel to the existing chassis ground then ground the camper battery and the Orion to the chassis?

3. REPLACE the existing chassis ground with AWG 6 or larger then ground camper battery and Orion to the chassis.

4. Something else?

Thanks for any clues!

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers