question

esjay avatar image
esjay asked

BMV 712 not showing charging from solar

I have a Victron BMV 712 installed with an Li Time LiFePO4 100 Ah battery. I can see in the Victron app the SOC, and when I'm using (turning on lights) or charging via the shore power line. I then attached a new Dokio 160 W portable solar panel kit. I clipped the black connector to the 712 shunt, and the red to the battery. The Victron app does not show that the battery is being charged, however the app for the Li Time battery shows it is (current 5 A and SOC went from 83% to 91%).

Should I be connecting the red alligator clip to the shunt as well instead of to the battery? Is there a setting in the app I'm missing?

How do I get the Victron app to recognize the solar input?

Thanks for any help.

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Don't connect the red alligator to the shunt. Ever.

Guessing the black one is on the battery/battery side of the shunt. It should be on the load side. And, if there are other consumers, like lights, fridge etc. these will take the charge load and the battery may get nothing, so the shunt won't see it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

esjay avatar image
esjay answered ·

Thanks kevgermany!!! You were correct in that I had the black alligator onthe battery side of the shunt. Moved it to the load side as you suggested and it's all working now. Thanks for your help - I was afraid to just start trying different connections - electric scares me!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic