question

balano avatar image
balano asked

Changing the splash screen

I know we can change the boat and motor home page logo, but I'm looking to change the image that appears when the CCGX first powers on (below). I figured out how to change /opt/color-control/gui/splash.png, but that only shows up once "Starting..." appears late in the boot process. If it's really hard to replace this image, is it possible to turn it off?

Is this question better posed as an issue on github?

splash.png

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Just because I am curious, what happens when you delete/rename it? It should then be "turned off"

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

I think you are referring to the boat, motorhome screen? Not the boot up/splash screen which I think can be changed for corporate branding or if you have root access and know Linux.

I’m no programmer but I’m sure the folks on Victron dev GitHub lists would know.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks @John_R people there might know; but unless this is some huge important commercial project I’ll be telling them to not spend time on it.

I’m sorry; but thats the way it is

-1 Like -1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

...but it's fun playing around. :o) And its great, that this is possible. And you are very helpful, indeed.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·
Haha for sure it is fun; I just thought of one tip: @balano@solarstik.com: try to compile the open source version of the venus os image.

You’ll miss a lot; and if you are unlucky it wont even compile (we made that option years ago; and dont maintain nor test it).

But if you are lucky you’ll end up with a working installer sd card that installs u-boot (and that splash screen). Once done; login on ssh (you’ll have no gui, closed source still today) and update the unit to official version again.

If you are still lucky; that update will leave your u-boot in place and not touch it

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps: the build system; open embedded; as a enournously steep learning curve.

1 Like 1 ·
balano avatar image
balano answered ·

I am still looking for "it". I suspect there are actually three splash screens, all set to the same image. One for the bootloader, one for the OS and one for the GUI. /opt/color-control/gui/splash.png is loaded by the GUI. I can't find the other two.

For now I have a line in /data/rcS.local which copies my splash screen from /data over the default in /opt/color-control/gui, so that it persists between firmware updates. I'm running firmware version 2.12(?) and with this setup I get the Victron splash, followed by a mostly white screen, followed again by the Victron splash, followed by my splash coincident with the "Starting..." message.

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

The behavior of those screens got changed in recent firmware updates.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi; indeed, I think, a splash screen is loaded at least two times.

First time its the bootloader:

https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/tree/master/meta-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot

You see files in there. But cross compiling u-boot and the replacing it on your device; or in case the splash.bmp is on the target as a file; first mount that partition and then replace it; is for me higher mathematics on which i cant spend time. And the guys that do know @victron are not to spend time on this; sorry.

Last time I think its the gui; and it prints ‘Starting’; i think. And inbetween those two, the kernel might reload it again too.

Best regards. Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps; looks like the ccgx kernel (or at least v4.19 of it, which is not yet deployed) has special code to not touch the framebuffer: so no splashscreen loaded by that.

https://github.com/victronenergy/linux/commit/18ff207012e6af6b3d005297b8e7ef93965bc6dd

0 Likes 0 ·
balano avatar image
balano answered ·

Thanks @mvader (Victron Energy Staff). Understood. That's enough into to tell me I may be able to disable the bootloader splash screen via u-boot environment variables, without having to recompile the u-boot. And you've given me a place to look at what the kernel is up to.

2 comments
2 |3000

Ha! Seems you know more about this then I do; thats good. success & enjoy!

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps; todays kernel is 3.7. We’ll soon start field testing 4.19.

That upgrade has been a looong process.

https://github.com/victronenergy/meta-victronenergy/tree/master/meta-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux

0 Likes 0 ·
balano avatar image
balano answered ·

Well, I have failed to tap into the u-boot console. Thought I might get there through the Serial Console but not having any luck bringing that up. Perhaps my mod to the VE.Direct to USB cable was incorrect? I removed the red and black wires from the PCB and jumpered them to the 0 V and +5 V pins of the USB connector. I'm getting 5V between pins 4 and 1 of the VE.Connect, and the COM port is showing up in Windows, but seeing nothing on my serial monitor when I reboot the CCGX. Any hints what I did wrong?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi again; this might help you:

0 Likes 0 ·
balano avatar image balano commented ·

Oh, thank you! Exactly what I needed.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic