question

koos147 avatar image
koos147 asked

Product advice ESS

Good day,

I am looking for some advice.

The backstory,

I live in a house with a single phase 35A main fuse. when it pops, i need to wait for somebody from the power company to replace it. Asked if they could replace it with a modern breaker (automatic) (still 35A) but they said that the cable to my house isn't compatible.

Apart from that we have fluctuating power. by law everything from 207 to 257 volt is acceptable. For more sensitive devices, i use a UPS. This ups needs to step in multiple times a day. and the planning for grid improvement are 2029. so more and more grid issues will appear in the future.

I don't have solar panels, since i didn't want to contribute to the problem.

Now is my plan to install a breaker directly after the utility meter. 32A to limit the change that the 35A fuse will pop. After this a bypass switch will route to another building (yep need to replace the current cable since it can't handle the power) here a mulitplus or quatro (or another great idea) will handle everything. the primary output will route back to the bypass switch in the consumer unit. and from here everything stays the same.

Currently the 35A is enough. we heat and cook on gas so no heavy power usage.
for future usage this could become a problem.

Not related to the question itself. but to defend the extra cost of a higher capacity device.

Upgrading this gives 2 options. 3x35A cost around €600. i have no devices needing 3 phase. but can split the load over the phases.
Higher capacity is beyond my bank account (they need to dig a trench to the near by power distribution point. lay down a new cable etc)

Long story short. i need a really large ups.

It would be nice if i can use the power assist function to use a higher load.

What does the datasheet means with peak load. is it for seconds, or can it handle this for the duration of the battery?

Also the solar panels can support the system. that should be no problem. since i can limit the export, i am not contributing to the grid problems.

For extended outages (currently not so many) i have a small generator (2300 watt)

the quatro has a seperate connection for this. when not in use, is this save to touch? (the outlet will be outside, low enough for children to touch the pins for example the picture bellow)

1713536663712.png

Is it also possible to use a Multiplus, and make some sort of input selector to switch to generator input (There should also be some settings change for example zero export & limit input)

Our ground connection is a Pen earth. so we don't need another one when disconnected from the grid.

Was also thinking to seperate the charger and inverter so i alsways have a clean output. but i think this will be inefficient an increase my monthly bill to much.

Any idea's advice or thinks i forgot?

Multiplus-IIESSQuattro-II
1713536663712.png (192.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@koos147

Draw your power flow as a picture. Then post.

Yes the input 2 will be safe if you use a quattro and the generator input plug. It disconnects its internal relay. (Shown in a block diagram in the manual.)

Your breaker (after the fuse) will need to be significantly smaller than the 35A fuse to break before the fuse blows. A fuse tends to blow right on the rating a breaker has a trip curve and can trip much later than its 35A rating. So to save the fuse, that plan will not work.

Rate your loads in the inverters nominals rating not its peak. Peak is there for mistakes and pump starts.

If you are blowing 35A fuses then you are already pulling over 8kVa of power. (35x230v) Minimum inverter I would recommend is a 10kVa for your use.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

its best to contact you local victron dealer for help on designing a setup!

But with a big enough multiplus 2 or multiple in parralel, solar and enough battery capacity this can work fine for you

Multiplus can assist grid and can be setup not to feed back to grid

Read this for some more info:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

En in het nederlands:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/nl/index-nl.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.