question

pieterhill avatar image
pieterhill asked

Modbus register too small

I have 12 Quattro II 15000 connected in 3 phase giving 180kVA and 360kVA short time rated. The Modbus registers are either +-32000 or 64000 for power readings. This is 5 or 10 times smaller than the values I need to see. As my load grows past Each multiple of this limit (say 64000) the most significant bit is dropped and my reading is back at zero. So when I am at 63999 W then my Modbus value is the same but when I reach 64001 W the Modbus value is 1 - the register has dropped the highest bit… has anyone found a way around this because I see no Victron plan to fix it after all these years ….?

Modbus TCP
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
@Pieterhill

I've never worked on systems so large but is it just the modbus that has these limits?

If so could you maybe swap to using MQTT rather than reading from modbus? Or maybe even custom code that reads from dbus, I'm guessing limits dont exist in either of those?

1 Like 1 ·
pieterhill avatar image pieterhill matt1309 commented ·
Yep, VRM and local data are good, just Modbus. It becomes obvious when looking a the Modbus type and range definitions. I will try MQTT… it does seem to be tied to the Modbus registers though, if I look a the activation method….
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 pieterhill commented ·
I imagine mqtt doesn't have same limitations so that might be the solution for now at least.

In the event mqtt also has same issue (which I don't think it will) then you could use node red to make a http endpoint or something similar where you provide it with a dbus path to the endpoint and it'll return the value. Bit more involved but hopefully not needed if mqtt doesn't have limits.

1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources