question

josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer asked

ESS and battery monitoring

I have (or at least had, as it is in service right now) an Easy-Solar 48/5000 system. I chose the internal battery monitor of the unit as I had no dedicated monitor (like BVM 700) at hand.

I found out that the colour control keeps reporting 100% SOC as the voltage varies within wide limits, between 48 volts and 55 or so, but the SOC never changes. Is this intended behavior or is something in the setup to be changed?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Have the battery monitor configuration settings checked using VEConfigure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

I did, I specified "use the multi as battery monitor".( I did this twice already, as the unit I installed was replaced and I took extra special care the 2nd time).

Yet, after some struggling with the MPPT solar charger I got the thing up again. I harvested average 2000 w for three hours or more, while using roughly 150w/h

The displayed SOC of 87% never changed, though my arithmetic says that 87% of 600AH is 522AH.

Charging 25A for 3 hours would end up with slightly less than 600AH (considering the loss).

But the SOC doesn't move.

So I ask again, and particularily directed to the Victron people, if this is normal behaviour, and is there a way to work around this apart from buying a BVM700?

2 |3000

josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

But I found another more in-depth thread on this topic https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/569/incorrect-soc-monitoring.html

so I'll move on there

2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Please make a screenshot of:

VE-Configure settings of your battery monitor in the Multi

and in Remote Configure: System Setup - 'use solar charger current to improve VE.Bus SOC' should be checked.

2 |3000

josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

I unplugged the color control (as required for VE config) and changed the set-point for bulk charging from 85% to 90% .

Not sure which of the two did the trick, but SOC immediately jumped to 100% and the multi to "float".

Yet in my opinion still a little too much "Hogwarts school for witchcraft and wizardry" :-)

2 |3000

josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

an this puzzles me too. But after switching DVCC off math was more or less right again.

discharging.jpg (4.4 KiB)
discharging.jpg (4.4 KiB)
maths.jpg (31.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual