question

danielcv avatar image
danielcv asked

Multi RS Solar Max Voltage per array ?

Hello, I have the Multi RS Solar Dual MPPT (6000 W total - 3000 W per tracker).

1- In the manual and specs it says that the "max Voltage of the device is 450V".
Is this the max Voltage for each array (this device has two MPPTs) or is it the sum of both arrays ?
So lets say I have two arrays, each array is by 6 Panels with VOC 46V, so each array has VOC 276V. If the max Voltage is per array, then I can connect the 12 panels in total, putting 6 for each array. If the max Voltage is ment for the "device" as they say in the manual, then I cannot connect the 12 panels as described above.

2- Similar question would be for the Start-up voltage: 120 V - per array or the voltage of both arrays together ?

Please help in these two very important questions. Thanks.

voltageMulti RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mihai avatar image
Mihai answered ·

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the maximum voltage is per array (string). I think you could have all 8 panels in series on one string only (8*46V=368V).

I currently have 2 strings of 7 panels each (4.6Kwp). At maximum, I see 282V on each string.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danielcv avatar image danielcv commented ·

Ok, thanks, I see I have a mistake in my question, with the number of paneIs , I meant 6 and not 4 per array - I will correct it now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@danielcv

120v is start up voltage per tracker, they will both track down to 80v before switching off again independently.

450v max per tracker VOC at min temps. But also be aware that the max voc you can install is related to your battery float voltage.

2 |3000

danielcv avatar image
danielcv answered ·

OK, so in that case I suggest to Victron team, to specify this in the the specs and manual. It makes a big difference in understanding the device.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

You mean like this:

MPPT operating voltage range is constrained by battery voltage - PV VOC should not exceed 8 x battery float voltage. For example, a 52,8 V float voltage results in a maximum PV VOC of 422,4 V. See product manual for further information.

The specs seem implicit to me. How would independent trackers influence each other anyway? it is self-explanatory, any supplier should be able to explain this to someone buying from them.

The docs were not intended for a lay-end-user, they are designed for experienced and trained installers for whom this should make sense and who wouldn't assume it meant anything other than "per tracker".

And the cutoff in new firmware is around 60V now to improve shaded performance, spec changes still pending.

0 Likes 0 ·
danielcv avatar image danielcv nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
OK, if Victron thinks that only trained installers should buy and use their products, then you are right. But normally manuals are made the most clear way so also not having to think how the device itself works internally, but they say exactly what the device does:

So, per tracker max VOC is X and start voltage is X per tracker and max Power ist 3kW per tracker (in this point manual says it).

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Mutli RS Solar Datasheet

Mutli RS Manual