question

alwin-bucher avatar image
alwin-bucher asked

Victron Inverter Connection of AC Ground to Negative DC Input

Hi there,

I am trying to source an inverter for my aluminium sailboat that will be compatible with the use of a floating DC system, i.e. where neither battery poles are grounded to the hull. This requires an inverter where the AC ground is not internally connected to the negative DC input. The absence/presence of such a connection appears to be relatively poorly documented no matter the manufacturer - in the case of Victron the only mention I was able to find in any manual is the below screenshot. Unfortunately this does not help me, as I am looking for an inverter with > 1.5kW output.

I would be most grateful if you could provide me with a list of Victron products where the protective earth conductor of the AC outlet is not connected to the negative wire of the DC input.

screenshot-2024-03-08-at-170046.png

Phoenix InverterGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
yk avatar image
yk answered ·

screenshot-2024-03-08-211021.png

screenshot-2024-03-08-211111.png

screenshot-2024-03-08-211145.png

Hi

from phoenix inverters manual hope this answers your question

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alwin-bucher avatar image alwin-bucher commented ·
Many thanks! Unfortunately it is still not clear whether "The AC output is not isolated from the DC input" should be interpreted as meaning that the AC output ground is connected to the DC negative input; whether or not the output neutral/ground are linked is a different question altogether. My boat has a floating DC negative, and I would like to keep it that way.

If someone from Victron could put together a list of inverter products where the AC output ground is isolated from DC input negative (like for the Ph 12/500 and Ph 24/650, and unlike the 12/225 and 24/300), that would be wonderful.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic