question

mateaco avatar image
mateaco asked

DC to DC charger needs

Hi,

Which DC to DC charger do I need for a 100 amp van battery with 400ah of leisure batteries? Also what size fuse between do I need between charge and leisure batteries? Do I need a fuse between van batteries and charger?

Thanks,

Mel

dc-dc charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@mateaco If you have a look at the Manual you can find recommendations regarding cabling and fusing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'll need to work out how much power is available from your alternator and how much the van electrics use. Rule of thumb is to aim to keep the charger plus electrics draw below half the alternator output.

Then you need to do the maths on the loads on the house bank and make sure you have enough charging available based on your expected driving time per day. You may need other charging - solar, grid, generator...

2 comments
2 |3000

mateaco avatar image mateaco commented ·
thanks, I have other charging, solar and shore, and I have a DC to DC charger from renogy but it keeps blowing the 90A fuse between the van batteries and the DC to DC charger. My solar keeps up pretty well, just would like to get the DC to DC working correctly. I'm willing to buy a Victron unit I just don't know which one would work best.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mateaco commented ·
The Victron model numbers work this way: Input voltage/output voltage-max output current. And there are chargers/power supplies and isolated or non-isolated models to pick as well.

Without doing the maths, we can only guess. And the wiring needs to be sized for the current.

You have a large output leisure battery bank.

Try looking at the 12/12-30 non-isolated charger. But all the warnings apply and you should check this out properly with a competent dealer/installer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic