question

freddy7380 avatar image
freddy7380 asked

DCDC charger power input over 15 V

Hello,

when our Lifepo4 battery is full our DCDC charger (Orion Tr smart 15I15 - 30) gets power input over 15V and the engine warning light goes on. Is that a problem from the alternator or wrong setting in the victron app?

dc-dc charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Can't find anything on a 15|15 -30. Is that a 12|12 - 30?

Which way is the Orion connected? Starter battery/alternator as input LFP battery as output? Or visa-versa?

0 Likes 0 ·
freddy7380 avatar image freddy7380 Kevin Windrem commented ·
Sorry 12 I 12 you are right. Alternator into starter battery into DCDC charger into LFP.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Are you sure the alternator voltage spike is due to the Orion?

What does the Orion report when the input voltage hits 15 volts (e.g, charging state)?

How long is the spike?

Is there possibly a sneak path between the house and starter battery that might result in the Orion from CHARGING the starter battery to near 15 volts?

What happens of the Orion is disconnected from the starter battery?

Can you trigger this happening by disabling charging in VictronConnect? This might indicate that the abrupt removal of the charging current is causing the alternator voltage to spike.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I'm not entirely understanding your issue, but if the LFP battery has an internal BMS, it may be cutting off charge abruptly and triggering a voltage spike.

Try lowering your absorption voltage to 13.8V and see if the problem lessens. The battery may need to be held at elevated voltage (13.8-14.4V) for an extended period to give the internal BMS time to balance the cells.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freddy7380 avatar image freddy7380 commented ·
Thank you for your respone. Okay I will try out to put absorption down to 13.8V. Before it was 14.5V by default.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic