question

clive avatar image
clive asked

Equalisation charge MPPT 250/100

Hi

I have just noticed one of my 2V OPzv batteries in my 48V system seems to have overflowed some acid in reasonable quantity ...maybe even up to a cupful. The system is 4yo and has been behaving perfectly, and all cell voltages are within +/- 0.01V. The default MPPT setting for OPzv has an equalization charge of 2.65V per cell every 30 days, but I cannot see a single incidence above the Absorb voltage of 2.4V in the last 6 months.

This suggests to me that the MPPT might be smart enough to override the 30day equalization setting as it sees somehow that all cells are exactly aligned. So I could not have overcharged the batteries

Anyone know the intricacies of the MPPT algorithms?

Thankyou guys

Clive

48v battery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@clive

If the charge cycle was interrupted when it was supposed to go into equalisation, it does not equalize. It begins another charge cycle.

If solar was not enough on the day then the same again.

It has no way of knowing anything except bank total voltage and whether the bank is absorbing power or not.

Something to check is if the bank is needing more power and normal to float.

0 Likes 0 ·
clive avatar image clive Alexandra ♦ commented ·
thankyou! V interesting then that VRM charts never show equalisation voltages close to being achieved and its unlikely that in 6+ attempts equalisation does not start.

So anyway it does not seem that overcharging can have caused gel overflow, nor undercharging as batteries only rarely dropped to 60% charge level.

I wonder if OPzv are vulnerable to leaks through either vent valves or body cracks even tho stored out of the weather in a cage?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic