question

Scott Clark avatar image
Scott Clark asked

VE Bus Smart Dongle manual or me missing something?

Hi,

Trying to set up a VE Bus Smart Dongle with a temperature sensor cable on a Quattro. I have a CCGX and understand the priorities and have disconnected to initiate the Smart Dongle, but the manual seems to be missing something or I'm missing something.

Does the red connection wire have to go into the same B+ terminal of the connection block as the temperature sensor's red connection wire together?

I have tried 4 wires in 3 holes to power up the Smart dongle with temperature sensor, but no temperature read out for the dongle independently and no data for the Quattro (both showing in VictronConnect app).

Any help greatly appreciated.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
1544425195726.png (237.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello,
You should only have 3 wires to connect to the terminal block. When using the temperature sensor then you will omit the single red wire that goes from B+ to the battery +. The red wire belonging to the temperature sensor takes the place of the single red wire.

What do the status LED's on the dongle say?
What firmware is on the Quattro?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Scott Clark avatar image
Scott Clark answered ·

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Quattro firmware: Just updated - 431

OK, I will remove the single red wire that goes from B+ to the battery +. May need to correct Step 4 in the manual. "

I'll write this response as I try changes.

LEDs:

With battery power and Quattro connected (RJ45 UTP cable) but no app connection, slow blinking blue light..

After connecting app to device, blue light is on and red light blinks slowly. After a few minutes it went fast alternating blinking (connecting).

Then, after 10 seconds, back to blue light is on and red light blinks slowly.

Then, after 30 seconds, back to slow blinking blue light only.

So, removed single red wire as suggested and back to blue light is on and red light blinks slowly. Then, after 30 seconds, back to slow blinking blue light only - according to manual this means operational but not connected (assuming connected to the app?).

I had the red and black connection wires connected to a bus bar, but since adding the temperature sensor ( ASS000100000 ) directly to a battery's positive + terminal and the black connection wire to a negative - terminal.

Then...

Replaced VE Bus Smart Dongle

Updated firmware

Dongle blue LED still slow blinking.

But then, changed phone (both new Samsung Android) and opened with VC app and got into Quattro. Dongle blue LED showing solid on. Red LED off. All good.

Now, switched back to original mobile phone and VC app and successfully connected to Quattro with temp readings. All good too!

Tried disconnecting the Quattro to see the dongle operate as a temp and voltage sensor only, but appears that it cannot in this power configuration because there is no LED lights after disconnecting the Quattro.

To check, connected original VE Bus Smart Dongle back into system and successfully connected to dongle and Quattro via VC app with new mobile phone.

But when I disconnected and went back to original mobile phone and original dongle I hit the connection problems again.

So in conclusion, I have replaced the VE BUS Smart Dongle so that I have a more reliable connection to the VC app on both mobile phones. All good.

Thank you very much for your assistance with the original power wire question.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic