question

bladerunnervf avatar image
bladerunnervf asked

victron terminology - grid inverter

Looking here

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-introduction---features.html

I see the term "grid inverter" used in the diagrams

Just wanted to be clear, this is an inverter which takes DC from solar PV panel and converts to AC, i.e. a "string inverter", but it cannot charge a battery?

thanks for taking a look

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

I believe that it refers to any inverter that can inject energy into an AC grid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bladerunnervf

You are correct for simplicity. It directly inject DC from solar to AC (loads/appliances) directly. The term usually refers to PV inverters that don't power up unless Grid (230v or 120v) voltage is present even if there is solar.

(It's a clear as mud these days, since some grid tied inverters can have a battery added to them and some have a feature where they can run small non surge loads during a blackout)

Because Victrons are bi directional they can charge the battery bank through the Victron with excess solar.

1 comment
2 |3000

bladerunnervf avatar image bladerunnervf commented ·
Thanks alexandra
0 Likes 0 ·
bladerunnervf avatar image
bladerunnervf answered ·

Thanks Alex,

Just checking, by AC grid you're referring to electricity company supply to house ?

2 comments
2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru commented ·

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear... Language barrier... :-))

In my mind, grid = multiple lines.

Thus, there is electricity company AC grid and there is house AC grid.

I was referring to any AC line. In other words, grid inverter = AC coupled inverter.

1 Like 1 ·
bladerunnervf avatar image bladerunnervf Alex Pescaru commented ·
Thanks alex
0 Likes 0 ·