question

toaley avatar image
toaley asked

System design on a boat

Hi, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Catamaran with dual voltage 115/240v ....,2x Yanmar 240hp engines both have 55a 12v alternators for the start batteries and 175a 24v alternators for the house bank . The 24v alternators have dodgy brackets and don't reach anywhere near the actual output. I know they need new mounting brackets but also they don't reach enough speed. I currently have 1400w of solar which will be upgraded to 2400w and also a 400w wind generator. I have a 240v 3000w multiplus and 2x 115 2000w multi compact.. 1040ah of AGM that I want to eventually upgrade to lithium... Please help

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

I would start by stripping the second alternator off the engines, and fit the 24V alternator in place of the original alternator. Ensure that the alternator pulley is small enough that the alternator reaches working rpm with the engine at slightly above idle - say 900 rpm. This will ensure good output from the charging system at low engine rpm, most usually used on sailing yachts. the starter battery system can be charged off the house bank by a trickle / float charge set to 13.5V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

toaley avatar image
toaley answered ·

Yeah I am definitely looking at them right now along with a 5000w quattro and upgrading the solar panels

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic