question

hnk avatar image
hnk asked

Settings for Car Batterie Solar Storag

Hello Everyone,

im using a Battery Protect 12/24V 64 A and a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Charger 12V 24V 48V incl. Bluetoot for a 24 V lead acid battery system.
On the Batterie charger i don`t use the "Load" output. To Protect the Batterie again under-voltage i use the Battery Protect.

The batteries I use are lead acid batterys for cars. I Know that this is not perfect and not so cycle stable, but the two big car batteries are already there.

I would use the setting Nr. 8 at the battery protect, witch have the highest cut of voltage (24 V) even i would like to use a even higher voltage of aroud 24.4V according to this Website https://naturesgenerator.com/blogs/news/lead-acid-battery-voltage-chart.

But at the SmartSolar I don`t know what battery type to choos in the app an with or without Automatic equalization .

What are your experiences when using lead acid batterys from cars/ in general? What settings would you recommend for the SmartSolar Charger?

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

12V car batteries are designed to give short bursts of current at high amperages to turn an engine over while starting, but unlike deep cycle batteries don't do well with long, low current draws. It is why starter batteries are rated in cold cranking amps (CCA) rather than amp hours (AH) found on true deep cycle RV batteries. There are what's called Marine batteries that are a compromise design for use with trolling motors and starting outboard motors. They suitable for RVs but don't last as long as true deep cycle batteries. Personally I wouldn't use starter batteries but that's up to you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic