question

bbuster avatar image
bbuster asked

Raspberry Pi 4 frequently losing USB devices

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Venus OS.
From the the display i have a 4m USB cable running to the back of the motorhome were all the devices are installed with a powered USB hub.

I have a smart shunt and MPPT installed and they usually work (readable via the display). But after some time (changes from days to weeks), the connections to the usb devices are lost. I have installed a reboot script at night because most of the time after a reboot all the devices are found again but not this time. I have restarted the Raspberry multiple times but i cannot get the devices to show up again.

When i use the "lsusb" command i get this:

root@raspberrypi4:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03eb:572b Atmel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I can get the "lsusb -v | more" and see a lot of information, including "Victron Energy" as manufacter so i assume the devices are connected.

What can cause this? Or can i check what is the problem?

The MultiPlus Compact is also connected to the Raspberry Pi but via the ethernet cable directly connected to the USB-MK3 device and that one keeps working

Thank you!

MPPT SmartSolarVenus OSSmartShuntRaspberry Pimk3-usb
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

outsourcedguru avatar image outsourcedguru commented ·
Longer USB cables like this add resistance which then lowers the available voltage. At some threshold what was supposed to have been 5VDC is now too low to keep the device tree happy.

Also, it's possible that the power for your USB hub device has brownouts and is the reason for the problems. Try connecting those devices to UPS.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·

I also had massive USB connect/disconnect problems. An USB isolator solved almost all issues, even though there are still rare disconnects.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solardanman avatar image solardanman commented ·

hello, I am having the same issue for months. Seem to come and go depending on the firmware version. For the USB isolator which one did you buy? I was going to get this one. https://www.duppa.net/shop/isolated-4-port-usb-to-ttl-uart-ftdi/?v=7516fd43adaa

0 Likes 0 ·
wilm avatar image
wilm answered ·

I've used this one:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07YKQHB3J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works since Feb. 23 without any problem.

2 |3000