question

econger avatar image
econger asked

Second auto transfer switch

See what you guys think about this idea. I am installing a new Victron system in my Coachman camper van, Multi II, MPPT, two Orion b2b, Lynx dist, Lynx smart shunt and Cerbo go, as well as 3-300ah lithium battery’s. I would like to have the ability to run my 120v air conditioner from the batteries, if I don’t have shore power or don’t want to run my generator (we boondock a lot). I have an automatic transfer switch for shore power/generator which is connected directly to a 30a breaker in my Furrion combo 120v/12v distribution panel, then feeds the inverter through an additional breaker. The panel bus bar has been cut to allow 120v on one side from the shore power/generator and the other side is 120v supplied by the inverter. The air conditioner currently runs off the shore/generator side. What if I add a breaker on the inverter side and have both leads (shore/gen and inverter sides) go to another ATS with it selecting shore/gen over inverter, if available. If shore/gen is not available, then the inverter would supply the power (from batteries) To run AC. I know I could just use a manual switch, but this would make it automatic. Does this make sense or is there a better way?

transfer switch
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
what size multiplus is it
0 Likes 0 ·
econger avatar image econger Paul B commented ·
3000, 120v 50a
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

The Multiplus has a built in transfer switch. It should be installed between your on board automatic transfer switch and the main breaker panel. This way either shore or generator power will pass through the MP to power loads or if there is no shore or generator power available, the MP can power the loads.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

econger avatar image econger commented ·

Well damn, I knew it had a transfer switch, but it didn’t dawn on me that it would be useful for my application. I guess I am overthinking things or just brain fog. Thanks so much.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic