question

feded00 avatar image
feded00 asked

Lab power supply + MPPT + Multi

Hi all,

I am planning to build an off-grid lab scale test setup for batteries.

I am going to buy the following Victron components:

- 3kVA MultiPlus-II inverter

- 150/60 SmartSolarMPPT charger

- CerboGX

In the first implementation of the system, that you see below, I don't want to connect a battery to the DC bus yet, and I will be using the SmartSolarMPPT with a lab power supply (of course, the power supply is set to limit its output power/current/voltage according to the SmartSolar limits).

The AC load connected to the inverter will be small and constant, and is there just to check for proper system functioning.

Is the CerboGX able to manage the system even without a battery connected to the DC bus?

scheme.png

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxMPPT SmartSolar
scheme.png (94.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@feded00__

The system will not function as expected.

In both the MP2 and the mppt manual the battery is the first described connection to make.

In short unsupported. Best wait and commission once and correctly.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

feded00 avatar image feded00 commented ·
Thank you. @Alexandra

Concerning the lab power supply, do you have any experience when connecting it to the MPPT PV side?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ feded00 commented ·

You can connect it to either side of the mppt to power it up. Pretty useful when diagnosing problems.

If you do connect it to the battery side don't have live PV connected though. (I am sure you aren't silly, but I have met someone who did)

Be aware though first time connection it auto detects battery voltage. But you can set it manually after that.

0 Likes 0 ·