question

dave-hou avatar image
dave-hou asked

Acceptable new battery age?

img-7471.jpegI just purchased three AGM supercycle batteries from a large online dealer. When I went to install them, I noticed they were low on charge which led me to check the date code and found out that they were manufactured in July 2021 (2.5 years old) Upon contacting the dealer they informed me that all AGM batteries Currently sold by Victron are that date and I could return them if I pay the shipping and a 10% restock fee. They also said that Victron stands by the warranty so don’t worry about the age. Problem is this boat is headed to the South Pacific where warranty coverage will be sparse. I contacted a local dealer who checked with Victron and found out that they can have brand new batteries shipped from Victron in 3 days. Problem is I will have to eat the $1000 I have already spent or recoup a portion after paying to ship batteries Accross the country.

If I am being honest I am hoping someone from Victron will notice this post and offer to help but in the meantime would you accept 2.5 year old battery’s as new?

Thanks

AGM Battery
img-7471.jpeg (1.6 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

No!!

We left Trinidad with "new" AGM's and had them totally fail within 8 months. We managed to get the manufacturer to ship new batteries to us, but ended up paying port fees for the 6 weeks they took to get to us.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
These days you should be looking at lithium batteries for the house bank, not lead.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic