question

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett asked

SPAM EMAIL??

1705266395171.png

Received the above email, but get 404 on clicking box, but is linked to a Victron Server.....

Is yhis spam or simply mal formed?

website
1705266395171.png (42.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
Guessing it is Spam as I have just got one. I did not click on anything as it appeared to be Spam
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
I got one too but did not click the link as it was pretty clear it was spam.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks for reporting @Mike Dorsett,

I don't think there was any risk here - just a spamish email to get people to click their profile and see what they were selling in their bio links.

The user never got access to any email addresses. They took advantage of a feature that allowed the community to send people an email on their behalf by requesting an answer.

The specific user has been banned.

I have also disabled the feature that allowed them to do this so it shouldn't happen again.

It was actually two features, one that allowed requesting an answer, the other that allowed receiving of the request. Both have been disabled for all normal users now.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
Thanks. Happy new year to all @Victron
1 Like 1 ·

Happy new year to you too @Mike Dorsett - I just edited my original post with more info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
OK, noted. Just anti social behavior. There's no critical info on my account anyway....
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic