question

roblatour avatar image
roblatour asked

Feature Request - Product packaging suggestion

Some customer feedback - hopefully someone from Victron will read it ...

I recently bought a variety of Victron products, including: a Multiplus II 3000/12/120, SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 Solar Charge Controller, Distributor, Smart Shunt, etc. and am now preparing to mount them all on a backboard.

Some of these items, esp. the Multipluss II, are quite heavy.

It would be great if all Victron products shipped with a thin cardboard template that could be taped up against a backboard in order to help position / arrange the final placement of the device to be mounted on the backboard. Such templates would be large enough to show the outline of the particular product in the package, as well as an outline of the 'buffer zone' around which it is recommended that no other equipment be placed (for example in the case of the Multiplus 100 mm around the outline of the device), plus of course where the screw holes would be mounted. It could also include other important pictures, for example showing not to place a battery directly under a Multiplus device.

This would help tremendously in the planning of where the devices are mounted on a backboard -and would in a very important way aid in the placement of pilot drill holes.

The template would of course be removed prior to placing the equipment on the backboard, but the pilot holes (and any other marks one might chose to place on the backboard with a pencil/sharpie/etc. with thanks to the template) would be what are use to position the device itself for final mounting.

To fit in the shipping box the cardboard template would of course be need to be folded, but the folds should be placed appropriately - for example with the Multiplus they could be placed along the edges drawn for the outline of the device (where the buffer areas begins).

In any case, I thought I would share this idea, hopefully it is something that can be adopted to make installations easier for customers in the future.

If you think it is a good idea, or have further suggestions for improvement along this line, you're welcome upvote this post and / or add your comments below.

feature request
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Nice idea.

All the equipment comes with a working drawing though.

I usually use the mounting plate (for the inverter, so I don't lift the inverter) mark pilot holes from there and the dimensions from the manual to work out the space required around it.

Or if working with a backboard don't hang the board first. Work layout first.

Only downside really of the the idea is more packaging and waste after install.

1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @RobLatour,

Thank you for the suggestion. The feasibility of adding such template along with each product will be studied.

Please be informed that, as Alexandra already mentioned, the dimensions needed for back board mounting can be found in the user manual at Appendix ‘Dimensions’.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.