question

deepdiver avatar image
deepdiver asked

Victron Smart Solar 100/50 solid state relay not working with load output

Can please someone give me an answer why no solid state relays work on load output of victron smartsolar 100/50.

I have done everything like in description.<TX cable ,Right configuration,the ssr works from 4 to 32 Volts dc.

Multimeter says load output of the victron has about 5 to 7 Volts. But no working.

Must it be a special ssr? Or is the smartsolar damaged?

solar
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

"Must it be a special ssr?"

What model SSR do you have? Which model of TX cable?

Picture/diagram of wiring please.

0 Likes 0 ·
deepdiver avatar image deepdiver klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The Model of ssr is "Kudom KSI 240D10-LM " with dc Input of 4-32v. Ac Load 10A ,240 V .

VE.Direct TX digital output cable ASS030550500 is used for the Victron .The Plug of the cable in the Victron and the two cables on the other side in the dc of the ssr.

Also testet other ssr with less Input of 3-32v.

The ssr are definitly working .On a 6 Or 12v Battery they switch normally. The virtual load output on the Victron switches also normally over Victron app.(testet with Multimeter).But it doesnt switch the ssr .

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ deepdiver commented ·

How much current is the SSR drawing via its DC input?
The datasheet says it should be 25mA, which should just about be OK I guess.

You say you have measured the Voltage coming out of the VE..Direct Tx cable, I guess you read 5V when Virtual Load is on and Tx cable is open circuit right?
What Voltage do you get out of the Tx cable when it is actually wired up to the SSR?

0 Likes 0 ·
deepdiver avatar image deepdiver wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Couldn't measure how much mA the ssr is drawing via Dc input.(unfortunately i only have a 10 Euro multimeter here in my holiday home) Fact Is that there are 5 volts open circuit voltage.Problem is when it's wired up .Then it is only about 2 volts.

Think i should buy a new ssr which will draw less than 25 mA.

But i didn,t find any further information on victrons manuals or homepage about the maximum drawing the ssr could have??

Only Information on the manual of the tx cable ,that every ssr with about 5v dc Input should work.

Can someone recommend me a good ssr which works?Should habe 10A on AC side.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ deepdiver commented ·

I think its going to depend on where you are, when you need it, mounting options and how much you're willing to pay. Element14, mouser, digikey etc all should have something suitable.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ kai ♦ commented ·

I have one of these Crydom SSR's in my SSR bin at home. It has a load current of about 10mA.

http://www.crydom.com/en/products/catalog/ckr-series-24-ac-din-rail-mount.pdf

Although I don't have a proper TX cable, I was able to drive it directly from the 5V and GND of the VE.Direct port. The Voltage dropped to 4.6V IIRC.
I built a simple transistor circuit to turn the SSR on and off with Virtual Load (simulating a TX cable to the best of my knowledge) and this also worked.

The TX cable is not really designed for driving loads, it is for signalling other circuits to go on, off or PWM.
If the load is light enough then you can get away with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
deandavis1 avatar image
deandavis1 answered ·

I seem to recall the SSRs don't like reverse bios. I was using two on a BMS (one load side, one charge side) I think the problem was that on the charge side (depending on wiring) the SSR output terminals would go reverse current when charging stops (ie when the sun goes down). Could this be your problem?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic