question

richard-axley avatar image
richard-axley asked

Can't read Victron smart devices

I have a Victron smart shunt and a smart charger ip22. I set them up 6-12 months ago and I don't remember any problems setting it up but these 2 devices are useless to me now because they don't recognize me (I guess) I've never been asked for a pin before, but both devices now, that's all they do ask for pin, wait, ask for pin, wait.... I've spent hours trying to figure them out removing them from pairing trying again etc etc etc. it's VERY frustrating

I did not expect to have so many problems that these things are completely useless. I cannot charge my lithium batteries, and I cannot tell how discharged they are except from my BMS which is inaccurate and it's why I got a shunt.

What happened is that I had to reset my phone and reinstall all my apps back on it, and nothing Victron smart worked after that

I don't think my charger is working at all, altho the lights are on and I can go through a few options with the single button on my ip22 charger (lithium, high charge, normal charge and another setting or 2) the charger NEVER HEATS up, and my BMS is only showing 150 watts or so coming in, and that's from my PV's. But since it's "smart" you can't really see any gauges and I have to feel if the charger is warm.

I'm incredibly frustrated, Victron is supposed to be good quality but I've had better luck with Renogy.

I've restarted my phone removed the app and reinstalled the app, I've turned off everything Bluetooth that could interfere and so on and so fourth

ver2.70 issues
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Richard Axley

The VictronConnect manual explains how to reset the bluetooth PIN for each product here

It can be frustrating, there is a fine balance between convenience and security.

Depending on the age of the product the default PIN code may not be 000000 out of the box. This was how it was originally, but now products are shipping with unique PIN codes for extra security, as many people were just keeping the default and this was not secure enough for semi-publicly accessible places like marinas and caravan parks.

If it is still a struggle, try with another different phone, ideally an iPhone as they have a consistent bluetooth stack. There is quite a bit of variation on the Android platform that made it more complex to test all permutations.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Richard Axley avatar image Richard Axley commented ·
I got the PUK code on the back of my charger.

There is NO PUK code anywhere on my smart shunt.

Why did I have absolutely no problems setting this up? I never had a problem until I had to reset my phone

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Richard Axley commented ·

The PUK for the SmartShunt is located on the right hand side of front housing underneath the product serial number

cleanshot-2023-12-18-at-170831.jpg

If that sticker is missing, there is an extra step now required to recover - please fill out this form - https://www.victronenergy.com/support-request

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Have you tried the default pin which is 000000 per older devices. Some newer devices have individual factory pin codes on the label on the device. Another option is to reset the pin, for which you will need the PUK code, which should also be on the label on the device.

1 comment
2 |3000

I tried the pin many times. It doesn't accept either 000000 or 0000.
0 Likes 0 ·
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

Dont try to pair the device to your phone.

Remove any device you tried to pair.

open Victron connect and let it find it on its own, then enter the pin when requested.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@Richard Axley

Remove as in unpair in the phone's Bluetooth settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

@Richard Axley

Is that a complaint, a question or both?

If it's a complaint, this is the wrong forum.

If it's a question, be specific about the question(s) and tell us the relevant information about your system and setup. Otherwise, we would be guessing.

If it's both, see the point above. We can simply ignore the complaints.

That said, I guess the devices are called smart because they have Bluetooth built-in and the parameters can be read on a smartphone, including the current from the charger to the battery, via the VictronConnect app .

Fideri

2 comments
2 |3000

Sorry apparently my attitude wasn't the best. Frustration level is high. Thanks for the reply. I actually didn't think I would get a answer, but I got several.

I took down 2 numbers. One is FCC ID and the other is ICID.

Can either of these numbers enable me to change the pin or do whatever so I can get information from my shunt?

I would also like to use my smart Victron charger and to get info from it too.

The charger has a serial number a pn and a PUK number.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Axley avatar image Richard Axley Richard Axley commented ·
The shunt has only the 2 numbers FCC and ICID
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic