question

karavanlife avatar image
karavanlife asked

Orion tr charge problem

Hello. I've asked this before but didn't get any results.

I use the non-isolated model. 12 12 30. Orion Negative is connected to the lynx distributor and the lynx distributor is connected to ground and chassis. Shunt installed on Lynx negative output

I have a weird problem with Orion. I start the vehicle when the life battery is almost empty, and in a very short time, the shunt sees the battery voltage at the same voltage as the output voltage of the Orion and interrupts the charging process. After 5 minutes, SOC becomes 100%. As a result, I cannot use Orion.

RPReplay_Final1702114908.mov

RPReplay_Final1702114908.mov

orion-tr smart
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@kara.vanlife

So the possibility is the shunt 100% is being triggered too easily.

What are the settings there?

It is a three stage charger though? So do you have the shunt switching the remote of the Orion?

0 Likes 0 ·
karavanlife avatar image karavanlife Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I use Victron smart shunt. All my devices are Victron except the battery.

-1 Like -1 ·
5 Answers
karavanlife avatar image
karavanlife answered ·

I use Victron smart shunt. All my devices are Victron except the battery.

Data of the devices after watching the video. This is the result every time. After turning off Orion, the voltage returns to the initial charging voltage within 1-5 minutes, but the SOC remains at 100%. Please see the last photo.

img-4390.pngimg-4391.pngimg-4392.png

img-4393.png

img-4534.png

img-4393.png (174.7 KiB)
img-4392.png (163.2 KiB)
img-4390.png (126.9 KiB)
img-4391.png (262.7 KiB)
img-4534.png (256.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The shunt shows 0A, check all fuses.
Does the battery have Bluetooth?

3 comments
2 |3000

karavanlife avatar image karavanlife commented ·

Please watch the video carefully. The life battery voltage becomes 14.20 in 10 seconds and because the shunt detects the battery is full or for another reason, the current becomes 0 and the Orion cuts off the charge.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ karavanlife commented ·
Normally the current doesn't goes to 0A immediately.

What batteries do you have exactly? Maybe the battery blocks the charging for some reason.

0 Likes 0 ·
karavanlife avatar image karavanlife Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

First thing that struck me is the shunt connections.

Shunt should be in the negative between the battery and Lynx, not after the lynx. This will mess up your shunt readings and the Orion charge will not register properly.

Note the shunt does not control the Orion, this is purely voltage based.

Please correct the shunt wiring and report back.

1 comment
2 |3000

I probably worded it wrong. I am reaching you via Google translate. Shunt between battery and lynx and on the negative cable. Battery - Shunt on negative cable - Lynx

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@kara.vanlife

The evidence suggests your battery is shutting off at 14.2V. That's way below specs so it may be faulty, or there is something else happening.

Try lowering the Orion's charge V as a test. Your link shows one instantaneous point at 13.55V accepting current at 13.89A. So you could go a lot lower if you need to.

Ignore the 100% SOC for now, it's the zero Amps causing that.

6 comments
2 |3000

benm avatar image benm commented ·
Looks for me the same as JOhnC answered, the battery switch off internally!! Check the cell voltage from the battery if possible.
1 Like 1 ·

When you say try reducing the Orion voltage, you want me to reduce the 14.2V in the photo to around 13.8V.ekran-resmi-2023-12-13-212036.png

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ karavanlife commented ·
@kara.vanlife

Yes. What you're after is the highest setting possible where the battery will still accept charge. Like @BenM suggests, the cell V's may be unbalanced and unable to handle the higher V. If the case, this could take days to rectify. You could keep trying for the higher V as time passes, and hopefully see some improvement.

1 Like 1 ·
karavanlife avatar image karavanlife JohnC ♦ commented ·

Ok. I will try it and report back. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ karavanlife commented ·
@kara.vanlife

You may need to increase the Absorb time substantially if it's a balance issue. Also, you could check actual battery V with a multimeter to make sure you're not suffering false reporting.

1 Like 1 ·
karavanlife avatar image karavanlife JohnC ♦ commented ·

I hope I succeed. Very technical topics. It's beyond me. I set up the system, but setting it up and going into details require very different technical knowledge.

0 Likes 0 ·
karavanlife avatar image
karavanlife answered ·

Thank you @JohnC , @BenM and other friends.

I did as you said and found the correct voltage. The charging did not occur at 14v, it did not occur at 13.95 and 13.90, but it did occur at 13.85v. I hope I can reach the required V values again.img-4577.png

img-4577.png (148.4 KiB)
2 |3000