question

evan-kolpack avatar image
evan-kolpack asked

How would I recreate a RedArc Redvision type system in Victron World?

I'd like to build a RedVision type system out of Victron components. This would be a system with MPPT/solar charger, DC/DC charger, smart shunt, remote controllable relays to turn on lights, pumps, etc., and an inverter, all that feed info into a main hub, which can be monitored/controlled via a mobile app. If it could have a dedicated touchscreen interface in the vehicle, that would be pretty neato too.

As for components, I'm pretty sure I'd need a Cerbo as the main hub that everything else would interface into. I'm not sure how to implement the relays for turning things on and off. I know the Cerbo has a couple, but I'd really like at least 8-12, similar to what the RedVision does, or even the Auxbeam AR800, or SwitchPros. If PWM dimming was an option (to "dim" LED's) that would be rad too.

I know that's asking a lot. I'd really like to avoid paying all that $$$ for a RedArc, but it's such a slick system. I also want to avoid getting too deep into the weeds. I understand I can add 4 relays by futzing around with a Raspberry Pi, for a total of 6 (?)....not ideal, I'm really hoping Victron has something more plug n play, but that might work. Let me know watcha think! The help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Evan Kolpack

If you put the time in, you will see almost all of the components you mention have relays on them. Including the inverter.

Cerbo has 2 relays and four digital inputs, controllability through the touch screen and basic OS.

Inverter through programming.

Mppt through programming.

The Cerbo runs node red on Venus OS large, you can go deeper and add more relays and smart switches, but since you don't want to program you have cut off the endless possibilities from there.

You will have to put the time in to learn the product.

Resources are linked.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

evan-kolpack avatar image
evan-kolpack answered ·

Wow, thank you for the quick reply Alexandra. So the Cerbo has 2 relays, I see certain MPPT's (seems to e 150/100 and above) have a programmable relay, if I get an inverter that has 1, then I'll have 4. Sounds like I could get 4 more through a Raspberry pi, which would meet the minimum 8. I REALLY wish Victron just made a simple relay pack that was controllable via the Cerbo. With the huge amount of stuff in the ecosystem, it seems crazy that something like that doesn't exist. I found some individual "smart switches" that can apparently be controlled by a digital signal (CAN bus?).

I think I may just get an Auxbeam or SwitchPros for all the switching and go Victron for everything else. I'd really love to have everything in one place like the RedVision, but there's no way I'm spending $2-$3k just so I don't have to switch to a different app occasionally.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Depending on which inverter you purchase, there may be even more than one there.

There are WiFi smart switches as well. They can connect to Cerbo hotspot and be controlled through node red directly from the Cerbo.

I have a bunch of digital switches on the Cerbo that can switch the WiFi switches if you also want to add a level of not having to go through menus.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic