question

fguiot avatar image
fguiot asked

Issue with adding my repo with SetupHelper

@Kevin Windrem i'm trying to add my rgpio (now called RemoteGPIO) setup through SetupHelper. But I'm struggling to get it installed.

It doesn't propose to Download the repo.

I think I have correctly followed the requirements from your excellent documentation, but I suspect it has to do with how I generate my Releases. I'm beginning with GitHub, so possible I do something wrong. I see that looks like I have to manually tag the last release with "latest" if I want SetupHelper to see the version.

I also tried to install from the shell and I get the following error:

ERROR: no soure file for replacement /opt/victronenergy/dbus-systemcalc-py/delegates/relaystate.py - can't continue with install

capture-decran-2023-11-25-a-232433.png

So it seems nothing was downloaded.

Do you mind to have a look?

Repo is Lucifer06/RemoteGPIO

Thx

Venus OSdevelopment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

I think the issue is that your version-dependent file sets don't contain the equivalent stock file (those that come with the Venus OS distribution). That's OK if you have a file set for every firmware version you suppor and that file set contains all files. A couple of our file sets only include the gpio_list file. The install may succeed for v3.12, v3.00 and v2.92 but the install will fail for all other Venus OS versions.

The setup script (via sorce-ing CommonResources) will search the included file sets for stock files matching what Venus OS has provided and and hopefully building a missing file set for that Venus OS version. But if there are no .orig files in the file sets, that search can't be made.

There is a script in SetupHelper named updateFileSets that searches a collection of Venus OS files extracted from the raspberry pi build. I use this one because it contains a complete disk image I can mount and pull files from. After you've set up updateFileSets to point at your package(s) and your folder of Venus OS files, it will create file sets and flag missing files. There's a fairly detailed description of updateFileSets in the comments at the beginning of the file.

Take a look at the file sets for one of my existing packages. These are autogenerated by updateFileSets then the missing replacement files are filled in. SymLinks exist where the stock file matches that in another file set.

The version number must begin with 'v'. just the numbers (1.4) is not enough to count this as a valid version number. That's most likely why the Download button isn't enabled and the package does not download.

As far as GitHub access goes, you can use anything you want for branch/tag as long is it actually exists. You could use just main but that means the field gets any changes you make to main immediately.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fguiot avatar image
fguiot answered Ā·

Thanks Kevin it definitively helps!

Actually v3.10 and 3.11 are work in progress but I take your remarks.

Good catch, you have spotted the reason it was not downloading: I forgot the 'v' in the version file!

I can now work on making everything fully automatically installed.

When finished, do I have to come back to you for integrating the RemoteGPIO repo in defaultPackageList of SetupHelper?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

If you want the package in the default list, then yes, I'd need to add it.

Be advised there is a conflict with my RpiGpioSetup package that also modifies the gpio_list file.

I suspect that users would either use your package or mine but documentation should clearly identify the conflict.

I have packages that conflict with each other and I have added code in the setup script to remove the conflicts. Look at ExtTransferSwitch and GuiMods for how I did that. In this case, GuiMods has priority over the mods done in ExtTransferSwitch. There are other cases, like uninstalling GeneratorConnector when GuiMods is installed because I incorporated GeneratorConnector into GuiMods making the former obsolete.

2 |3000

fguiot avatar image
fguiot answered Ā·

I will add the remark in the ReadMe. Anyway I agree with you users will either use RpiGpioSetup or RemoteGPIO. RemoteGPIO is mainly targeting Cerbo GX users

2 |3000

fguiot avatar image
fguiot answered Ā·

@Kevin Windrem Hello Kevin, I just finished RemoteGPIO integration with SetupHelper.

I tested successfully v2.92->3.12

Do you mind to add the repo is defaultPackageList ?

RemoteGPIO Lucifer06 main

Thx in advance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
I'll add it in the next release. For now, your instructions on how to add it in SetupHelper will be needed.

1 Like 1 Ā·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic