question

svet avatar image
svet asked

MQTT readings on mqtt.victronenergy.com after communications outage

Hello! I have what is hopefully a simple question, which I haven't been able to find the answer to thus far.

By subscribing to mqtt.victronenergy.com I am able to get a stream of real-time readings published by a remote CCGX. What happens if that CCGX loses connectivity for some period of time? Would readings be somehow accumulated during that period and then be pushed to mqtt.victronenergy.com when the connection is restored, or are they simply discarded? I suspect it's the latter, though just wanted to confirm.

For our use case it would be preferable if readings are accumulated locally - so that anything that happens during a communications outage can be back-filled when the connection is back up - though I appreciate that since the values published to the broker are not explicitly timestamped, this anyway wouldn't work in the current implementation (and in fact would probably lead to more confusion).

Thanks in advance!

Svet

CCGX Color ControlMQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

The historical values are not saved.

If you want better historical data that survives internet outages, your options are VRM (which does buffer) or to roll your own local mqtt service on the Venus device LAN.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svet avatar image svet commented ·

Thanks @ben for the prompt and clear answer. I suspected this is the case, but good to know for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·