question

JP avatar image
JP asked

DcDc charger on while start battery charged by external source

My motorhome system: 400w solar cells with mppt, 200w lithium battery, a mains charger for lithium battery, a Dc-Dc charger for lithium battery.

Recently my electrician added a mains trickle charger (ip65 blue-smart 4A) for the starter battery (standard lead/acid). Now, when plugged in mains power, the DcDc is on as if the engine was running. Is this normal? The input voltage is the same as the charger voltage? A shunt also shows the same voltage. There seems to be some kind of circular charging going on!

dc-dc charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

This will be because the IP65 charger on the start battery is raising the start battery voltage above the Orion's setting for turn-on voltage, and you definitely want to correct that since the Orion can pull more current from the start battery than the IP65 is delivering.

You can raise the Orion's turn-on voltage so it doesn't turn on until later, or lower the IP65's charge voltage to be lower than the Orion's turn-on voltage, or both, or pull the remote jumper from the Orion which will disable the behavior, or wire in a switch to the remote jumper so you can enable or disable it at will.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Trying to make this work automatically by adjusting various voltages probably won't prevent DC-DC operating at inappropriate times while sufficiently charging the starter battery.

A manual switch would work, but if want an automatic solution, you could wire the ignition switch to the remote terminals of the DC-DC. This will prevent it from turning on unless the engine is running.

1 comment
2 |3000

JP avatar image JP commented ·
In the connect app is the 'Charger Enable' switch On or Off supposed to do the same as manual switch or an ignition switch?
0 Likes 0 ·
JP avatar image
JP answered ·

Thanks for the replies. I also thought that turning off the dcdc charger would fix the issue, so a few days ago I did turn off the dcdc charger in the app (settings, battery settings, charger enabled = set to off) but after just a few days my starter battery was below 12 Volts meanwhile the ip65 charger was in float mode showing 0.0A?! So I re-enabled the dcdc charger. After a day or two the battery was fully charged again! I don't understand how turning off the dcdc charger could trick the trickle charger in thinking that the battery is full while something was discharging it??

1 comment
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·
You need a wiring diagram, something sounds like it is not connected as you expect.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic