question

fourief avatar image
fourief asked

Quattro ESS not using enough battery power when good sun

I have a system with 16 x 455W PVs, Quattro 48/8000 Inverter and Freedom won 15/12 battery, and ESS on Optimized without Battery Life. With full daily sun and battery charge at 100% for several hours in mid-day, the system still uses grid unnecessarily, apparently when geyser or stove is used for short periods (60-90 minutes). Minimum SOC set at 20%. Why doesn't the system draw more power from the battery rather than grid (so that I can save electricity grid costs)? Anything I can do to attain this?

ess discharging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

How do you define unnecessary grid?

How is the system configured? Do you have a meter? Are those loads on the AC1 out or in front of the inverter?

What is your grid setpoint?

Anything else configured in DVCC or ESS settings?

The ESS never has zero grid usage, you will always push and pull a bit of power from grid as bigger loads are used, especially when they switch on and off. Using meters to feed parallel loads tends to make this a bit worse.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fourief avatar image
fourief answered ·

Hi nickdb. Thanks for responding. I can't answer all your technical questions. And I accept there is always some grid usage. No Problem. However, what I want is, when the battery is fully charged and there is full sun during the day, to first use the (PVs and) battery for household electricity usage, including when a stove or geyser is switched on, and only later switch to grid when the battery gets (close) to min SOC. As it is now, it has a 'preference' for grid first, THEN battery. So, I have to pay for grid electricity use while there is a full battery not being used and PVs also producing electricity. Can one change the preference of the system to use battery first and then grid, for example?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
That sounds like something isn't configured right.

You will need to share your ESS settings and ideally upload a copy of the VRM remote config file for the inverter (has to be zipped to be attached here).

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic