question

coffeeeric avatar image
coffeeeric asked

230v Europe input to 110V motorhome system

First off all I am in the EU. So the 230V is EU .

Hi, I’ve got a 110V airstream motorhome, and it has a complete 110v system (old but working)

My shore system is dead (Energenius 3200G ) is dead, probably the transfer switches and or the inverter

I am in Europe, and want to update the whole system.

Three options here:

1 I could go and change everything for 230V (Eu not the 220V US) like ac and fridge but that would be a deep investment.

2 I could go for a 110 V multiplus 2 and feed it thru a converter (so at the input side) if I am connected to shore power, but if anything breaks I would have to get everything from the States.

3 I could go for a converter on the output side ,So get a 230V multiplus and convert to 110 before feeding into my appliances ,If something breaks I could get the Eu version 230v stuff and feed the 110V with converters.

What would you do? Thanks Eric

system design
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Please say 230V for European AC. Calling it 220 is confusing.
0 Likes 0 ·
coffeeeric avatar image coffeeeric kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Good point I’ll change the posting .
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Philipp Trenz avatar image
Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hi Eric,

an approach often used in overseas yachts is to install two inverter/chargers (Multiplus-II or Quattro-II): One for 230V and one for 120V. By connecting them to the same battery bank, either of them can supply AC loads and charge the battery.

With this approach, you are able to supply your existing 120V loads and at the same time operate 230V devices, e.g. if you need to replace a defective device.

If your Airstream is supposed to stay in Europe, you might not need the capability to charge the battery from a 120V source and could go with an Inverter-only device. But probably that doesn't make that much difference price-wise.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, good points. There's also the consideration of separate electrical circuits.

And making sure the appliances will work on 50 or 60Hz if the op decides on a downstream transformer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic