question

alda avatar image
alda asked

3x us3000c - is one power cable enough?

I have 3x pylontech us3000c connected. Connection is done by one original pylontech cable. Question is if it's enough? Or how to connect next one cable? Thanks

Alex

Pylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Alda

What is is it running?

You can daisy chain the batteries (short cables come with each battery) and the cable is rated for 100A so is just a little short of a 5kva if running hard.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alda avatar image
alda answered ·

actualy I have like this :

20231012-180818.jpg

so to be sure I must do it like this ? :

19872-batteries-to-busbar.png

means add next wires on the place where is cap now ?

15 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
No need, as long as your loads are within the cable rating.
0 Likes 0 ·
alda avatar image alda kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

BMS set a charge/discharge limit to 111A. I have a multiplus II 5kW so I think discharge isn't a problém, but for charge I have a mppt 450/100 and 250/60 so charge can exceed 100A

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ alda commented ·
@Alda

You will find the batteries will limit the charge current within the system.

You can, in DVCC, set the max charge current to be a max of 100A to be sure.

1 Like 1 ·
beat avatar image beat Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alda

Indeed, @Alexandra 's tip is right, but please note that the DVCC maximum charge current setting will, as specified by Victron, not be respected if you have ESS and grid feed-in active in the ESS settings.

So, if you do exceed 100 Amps and do grid feed-in, I would recommend using more than one set of cables, and wiring them like you proposed seems fine for 3 batteries (except for fusing).

Also make sure to not enclose "nicely" the Pylontech wires in tubes or shafts, as the 100 Amps rating is only for wires in open-air to cool efficiently (IEC installation method "E").

Btw, Pylonthech also specifies in their latest manuals that external fuses or circuit breakers capable of interrupting 15'000 amps short-circuit current be used (and MaxiFuses are not enough have only 1'000 amps ICU, I ended up using industrial HPC DIN00 fuses (DC specified ones) and 3-phase fuse-holders for that, only for the + side, as datacoms grounds are connected to - on Victron side).

0 Likes 0 ·
alda avatar image alda beat commented ·

fore fusing I'm using this 6way holder https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-distribution-systems/fuses-and-fuse-holders with 125A Mega fuse. When I will use second cable set, I want go down to 100A or 80A fuse per cable.

edit: but HPC DIN00 fuse is really big industrial fuse. Is there other one with holder for personal use ?

0 Likes 0 ·
beat avatar image beat alda commented ·

Indeed, my planed nice small busbar exploded in size, cost and time, especially that on Multiplus II 5000 side, the manual recommends 200A fuses, which means HPC DIN1. Once you have HPC DIN1 fuses and fuse-holder in your had, HPC DIN00 looks small, and Megafuses look like miniature.

There are smaller marine fuse holders and fuses, e.g. 778-ANL, but from what I saw, they have an ICU of 6000 Amps, which is better than the 1000 Amps of Megafuses, and enough for a single Pylontech US3000C battery (their short-circuit current is rated at 2500 Amps), but not for 3 of them in parallel, nor to the Pylontech specification in their latest manual (10000 Amps ICU for up to irc 3 units, 20000 Amps for more). So if you use ANL fuses, from an engineering point of view, you would need one per Pylontech battery.

Then there are much smaller circuit breakers (and not that much mor expensive) that can break 20 kAmps DC at <60V, but some of them are polarized and thus unsuitable for bi-directional current protection.

Schneider has suitable gear at reasonable price, for up to 63 Amps, so it's perfect for protecting smaller MPPTs, but not Multiplus nor Pylontech. Larger DC circuit breakers exist too, but more expensive. IMPORTANT: Do NOT use AC circuit breakers which are not specified for DC.

In all cases, also check with an authorized electrician for compliance with local safety regulations.

Wink: I wish Victron would come up with a "bit" bigger "Lynx"-style distributor for LiFePo4 battery short-circuit currrents, designing and building such a busbar with HPC fuseholders and copper bars is quite a job by itself!

0 Likes 0 ·

I asked montage company and also other users and nobody has special shortcut breaker. I received information, that enough solution is use a victron fuse holder for MEGA fuses and for pylontech batterie and cable, which is rated for 100A use a 125A Mega fuse. Please can you send me a link where is explainted why special breaker is necessary ? Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

Official Pylontech installation manual delivered with your batteries, paragraph 5.6, page 22:

https://en.pylontech.com.cn/view_pdf/web/viewer.html?file=/A_UpLoad/upload_file/20210322012941493.pdf&fname=AU-US3000C+Operation+Manual.pdf.pdf

5.6 Suitable breaker

1)The rated voltage shall ≥60V DC. Do NOT use AC breaker.

2)The type of breaker shall be type C (recommended) or type D.

3)The rated current shall match with system design: shall consider the DC current on inverter side. the number of power cable: for instance, if only one pair of 4awg cable, the rated current of breaker shall be125Aor smaller.

4)The Icu required: the short circuit current for calculation of each module is 2500A. for instance:

1-4 units: MUST ≥ 10 kA

5+ units: MUST ≥ 20 kA

0 Likes 0 ·
beat avatar image beat beat commented ·

58V Megafuses have an ICU of 1000A and are therefore not suitable to Pylontech specs: In case of a short-circuit of in your case 3*2500A, being way higher than their ICU of 1000A, you will have a permanent arc (DC current) in the fuse, until something else lowers the current (e.g. the internal short-circuit protection of the Pylontech batteries).

As I understand, Pylontech is requiring external fuses/breakers as a second line of protection, as well as to protect the cables from overcurrent (which is a different case than short-circuit). Some of their US5000 batteries have a circuit-breaker included on the front-panel, but not US3000C.

(32V versions - UNSUITABLE for 48V have 2000 A ICU: https://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/passenger-car-and-commercial-vehicle/bolt-down-fuses/littelfuse_mega_lowtemp_datasheet.pdf )

and 58V versions have only 1000 A ICU:

https://m.littelfuse.com/media?resourcetype=datasheets&itemid=a3e31bcb-bf61-4928-9fc5-7fb057a4f6db&filename=bf2-58v

Thus, I don't understand why Victron Lynx distributors are marketed as "1000A 48V" busbars, with MEGA-fuses that also have an ICU of 1000A, and that they showcases them with Pylontech batteries. The fuses are imho unsuitable for high-capacity lithium batteries.

ABB has a 125A DC-rated compact 1x-3x circuit breaker, not cheap at list price 500$ for 3x breaker, but counting everything, and its small footprint would be interesting, if it would be presently available:

S801S-C125, S802S-C125, S803S-C125 .

There are other DC breakers too.

This thread discussed this unsuitablitiy of Megafuses for Pylontech US3000C batteries already:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/178005/which-fuse-is-needed-for-a-48v-560ah-lifepo4-batte.html

From a price perspective for ≥20 kA protection, HPC DIN00 are the cheapest and readily avaliable solution, however, the busbar has also a cost and must be wired too, which takes also some time and cost.

0 Likes 0 ·

ok thanks, clear. So I need two fuses (I will use two cables) with ampere rating 100A and ICU rating higer than 10kA. I think this is also enough for upgrade to 4 modules. Now to find a cheapest way.

edit: so what to use 2x this holder : https://www.etigroup.eu/products-services/004121300

inside a box with transparent cover

0 Likes 0 ·

Yup, smaller and even cheaper than the standard ones like https://hager.com/de-ch/katalog/produkt/s00-si-lasttrennschalter-silas-nh00-m8

Yes, enclose them solidly, as well as any metallic part of the "+", so that no live "+" metal can be touched or short-circuited with e.g. a tool falling with - or earth, because:

A 7000 Amps DC arc, even at only 48 volts carries a lot of energy and possibly very hot metal, and can be very dangerous. Never work with power on, make sure all power sources are off, respect local regulations and have a qualified electrician or electrical inspector inspect your circuit, and make sure all "+" parts are protected from touch and from arcing before turning on.

Things done right are not dangerous, but they must be done right.

Sorry to be pedantic and insist on insulation and qualified inspection, but (electrical) security is essential, and if Pylontech requires high-ICU external fuses in addition of their internal protection (and probable fuses), it's probably for a good reason.

0 Likes 0 ·

I agree with you that security is important, that's why I'm asking. My proposal how to connect :

fve-zaojeni.png

Is this correct ?

edit:

fuse https://www.oez.com/pna000-100a-gg

and holder https://www.oez.com/spb00-ss

0 Likes 0 ·
fve-zaojeni.png (29.6 KiB)
Show more comments