question

redbellyacres avatar image
redbellyacres asked

Newbie - help me get outta here and on the road!

Hi all, I recently (with the help of Steve at AM Solar and an electrically-savvy pal) installed two new 100W panels on top of my small fiberglass camper, along with Victron’s charge controller, smart shunt, smart solar, and ip22. That brought me to 300W of solar total. I have two 100ah brand new LiPo4 batteries. The idea was to power 2 Dometic CFX coolers for longer periods of time off grid. We don’t run much else short a furnace fan, LED lights, and a MaxxFan.

I am 100% new to these systems and am trying to learn on the fly but am having a hell of a time - I’ve been testing the system prior to our scheduled trip (leaving tomorrow - delayed twice already due to problems with installation. Yesterday it was warm outside and I cranked up our MaxxFan all the way for about 5 hours. When I looked at my SOC I panicked - 34% - sunset approaching. I had the two coolers running all day - it was sunny, no clouds (SW Michigan). And the fan. That’s it. As a test I left the MaxxFan on the lowest setting overnight. This morning I came out and found I was down to a 17% SOC, and even though I was getting some watts into the panels the batteries (abt 10am ET) the batteries were not recharging. I waited about an hour until the SOC went to 16%, gave up and plugged in.

The only thing I can figure out is that the MaxxFan on high somehow blew through my juice to the point that things wouldn’t even recharge. Which doesn’t make sense to me (I ran the fan in the same way when I was on lead acid previously with no issue, and was able to boondock for 10 days this time of year - sans coolers, yes, but the coolers have pretty low consumption rates.

I’m new to all this — fearful of spoiled groceries and a ruined trip - but I’m at a loss as to how to investigate. Steve at AM Solar did walk me through my app settings a few days ago and had me adjust quite a bit after some initial weirdness - doesn’t seem to have helped tho. I am sure polarity is correct and we did review the wiring last week. i do know how to use a multimeter if there’s something more I can check here.

Ideas? Ways to educate myself so that I can understand WTF Is going on? Screenshots are from this morning (I’m now plugged into shore power at home trying to get the batteries back up).

img-0552.pngimg-0553.pngimg-0554.pngimg-0555.png

SmartShuntip22
img-0552.png (230.8 KiB)
img-0553.png (256.8 KiB)
img-0554.png (246.4 KiB)
img-0555.png (246.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Odd that you're getting so little power. That screen shot shows around 20W.

Not clear how you get to 300W of panels with 2*100W panels.

Low power could be light, dirty panels, poor connections, bad layout or even defective panels.

Your monitoring settings could be tweaked. Up the charged voltage to about 14.1V, increase charge detection to 10 minutes or more. But this will only help with reported SOC, unless DVCC is on.

0 Likes 0 ·
redbellyacres avatar image redbellyacres kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There was a previous 100W panel - I added two. It’s sunny here, 4.9 UV rating today. Not clear what DVCC is. I’ll post in a few with updated screen shots.
0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
grahamwood avatar image
grahamwood answered ·

What Charge Controller do you have. If it's an MPPT which will take voltages over 75v then I would connect those 3 panels in series. You will get much more efficient charging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

redbellyacres answered ·

I have an MPPT 100 and the panels are connected in series.

2 |3000

grahamwood avatar image
grahamwood answered ·

Okay. I was looking at your solar voltage - current figures. If in series then each panel is producing 5.6 volts at 1.3 amps. The current seems a little high for such a low panel voltage. That was the only reason I mentioned it.

2 |3000

redbellyacres answered ·

I’m so new at this I wouldn’t flag that - I appreciate any ideas you have.

2 |3000

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Three panels in series should be producing considerably more than 16 volts. Check that all the panels are connected correctly and that none are faulty. This may mean a bit of fiddling around disconnecting and reconnecting panels. The mppt will only charge when the voltage on the solar panels is 5 volts more than the battery voltage.

2 |3000

redbellyacres answered ·

img-0559.pngThis is what I got over the course of the day. still concerning?

img-0559.png (305.2 KiB)
2 |3000

grahamwood avatar image
grahamwood answered ·

Vmp for a 12 volt panel is normally about 18 volts. At max power, your 3 panels in series should be producing 54 volts. Your V max figure is about 19 volts. I would suggest that your panels are connected in parallel and not series. Maybe you should connect them in series.

2 |3000

grahamwood avatar image
grahamwood answered ·

Either that, or it's very sunny where you live and two of the panels are not producing any power.

2 |3000

packrat1969 avatar image
packrat1969 answered ·

I agree with those who've posted so far. The total voltage of your array is far too low for (3) healthy panels to be connected in series. We are assuming unobstructed sunshine though. Any shadowing? I would suggest disconnecting all of your panels and measuring their Voc individually. Post the panel spec numbers AND your actual measured numbers here. What kind of connectors are on the panels, and were they installed by the manufacturer? Verify their polarity.

2 |3000

Related Resources