question

Al avatar image
Al asked

Battery State: Off - Please help me debug this

Hi Guys,

I'm having a really rough time. We were camping some weeks ago and came home to no power. In the morning when the sun came up it charged for about an hour. The sun stayed out but the charge controller suddenly reported that the solar was pulling zero watts. The battery voltage was around 11.3 so should still be charging.

It's a fairly new setup other then the leisure battery. We have an expensive 180w back reinforced solar panel going into a smartsolar mppt 75/15.

I've just replaced the battery with a 100Ah lithium LiFePO4.

To my despair it still behaving the same way. The brand new battery is at 13.17 volts but the state still says off. It's a nice sunny day and the solar panel says 0W.

Any pointers? I'll be hugely grateful. screenshot-20230926-161845.png

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Al

Your solar has no voltage.

The problem is between the panels and the battery, likely a connection

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image
Al answered ·

My young son and his mates were in the pop top of the van. It's a sealed factory wired solar panel stuck on the roof. I bet one of the little %^*$'s was pulling on the wire.

New solar panel is the only option then.

The strange things is that sometimes it is pulling a wattage?! It may show like 50w then suddenly nothing.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Yeah an intermittent connection. The bain of the troubleshooters life....
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

I think the solar panel is dead. :( FFS

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic