question

jake12909 avatar image
jake12909 asked

Orion TR Smart 12/12/30 Isolated - Not working at install

So as from the title, Orion isn't working.

It is installed as per manual

Voltage across starter battery is 12.4v with engine off

Voltage at Orion inputs is 12.7v with engine off

Voltage at starter battery and Orion inputs is 14.08v with engine on

Don't know where to go from here.. anyone had the same problem or suggestions

Have tried inserting the wire bridge, nothing changed.

One thing to note is - I was halfway through installing the Orion but was running late one day so left it disconnected and set off for a couple week trip as I didn't need the Orion for that trip. BUT I accidentally left the positive connected to the started battery and also to the Orion via a blue sea 6006 switch which was left OFF the entire time away. The negative was not connected to the started battery but was connected to the Orion input. So really no power should have ever got to the Orion. But I wonder could this somehow have blown the internal fuse or damaged the Orion?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Picture is to explain how I left the connections... incase I wasn't clear

orion-tr smart
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
I don't see a photo attached, will you try the attachment again? A photo can indeed be worth a thousand words...
0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
Yes, a drawing might be helpful. Another point which caught my attention. I assume the starter battery and alternator are connected to the input of the Orion. How can the voltage at the battery (12.4V) below the voltage at the Orion-Tr (12.7V) when engine ins off? If at all, the number should be the other way around. And with no current flowing there shouldn't be a voltage drop, not to say a voltage "increase" as in your case.

Are there any other chargers attached to the input side of the Orion which you haven't mentioned and which explain the difference in voltages?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mmenezes avatar image
mmenezes answered ·

Jake,

I'm having the same issue - charger inoperable at setup. No diff in voltages at starter battery vs Orion input ports, but the unit refuses to show up on the Victron app to allow setup. I see this was almost 9 months ago. Did you solve your issue, and if so, how?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jake12909 avatar image jake12909 commented ·

Hello mmenezes

So my solution was I purchased a new unit and it worked so put it down to a fault..

Sorry I cant be of more help

0 Likes 0 ·
mmenezes avatar image mmenezes jake12909 commented ·
Thanks. I contacted the vendor who referred me to Victron customer service. Long story short, they are replacing the unit.
0 Likes 0 ·
jake12909 avatar image
jake12909 answered ·

img-0091.jpg

Here is the picture.

Obviously I have now connect the negative when attempting to get it to work.. But getting nothing from the Orion

Matthias, yes alternator and starter battery are connected to Orion input. And as for the difference in voltage I have no idea, but somehow was above at the Orion? I have just tested again now and voltage at battery is 12.3 and Orion is 12.4... Maybe I need a new multimeter...

No other chargers connected to Orion. Starter battery is going directly to Orion input at about 6ft cable span..

img-0091.jpg (3.1 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
Could you provide us with a complete picture. What else is on the input side? How does the output side look? Some weeks ago there was a thread about a problem regarding high current output from the Orion Tr and it turned out that was due to a missing minus conductor on a load. Of course, the proplem was totally different from yours, but this example illustrates the one has to look at the whole picture.
0 Likes 0 ·