question

rodney avatar image
rodney asked

Panel cable connection

Hi, Newbie here. Just received a 50 W victron panel. Does the cable connection get crimped, please see picture? I assume it doesn't connect beneath the screw head, as it is partially soldered.

Also, the RH connector looks slightly bent. Will this be ok?

Thanks

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sean avatar image
sean answered ·

Is that a brand new panel ? - I've never seen or purchased a Victron panel but I'm surprised you have to terminate you own connection wiring at the diode block - I'd expect them to come with +/- trailing leads.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rodney avatar image rodney commented ·

Thanks Sean, yes, it is new. According to the seller, all Victron panels <80W are like this.

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image sean rodney commented ·

Very odd, they are crimp connections - but getting access with the tool might be less than easy - so a combination of crimping with pliers and soldering seems to be required.

It does look like the RH cells tab is at a rather jaunty angle, assuming it performs electrically it should be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
rodney avatar image rodney sean commented ·

Cheers Sean. I wasn't sure if the crimp connection is for the insulation. I will measure the open circuit voltage and short circuit current, and if not in spec return to vendor. Maybe crimp and solder is a possibility.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jono (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Jono (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rodney commented ·

If you take a look at the relevant datasheets, this is correct.

BlueSolar Polycrystalline Panels: 20w - 60w
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-Polycrystalline-Panels-EN.pdf

BlueSolar Monocrystalline Panels: 20w - 55w
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-Monocrystalline-Panels-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
rodney avatar image rodney Jono (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks. Are you suggesting it should be delivered non -wired? If so, should it be crimped, or crimped and soldered?

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Jono (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Jono (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rodney commented ·

No, they are not pre-wired for the panel sizes I listed above.

0 Likes 0 ·
sean avatar image sean rodney commented ·

It would appear only the 55w and above panels are pre wired along with MC4s.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic