question

epretot avatar image
epretot asked

Symptoms of unbalanced batteries

Hello,

I'm new here and needing to have a better understanding of my solar equipment overall.

When asking questions, I tell those willing to help to assume I know nothing.

What are possible symptoms of imbalances in a battery bank?

My battery balancer is being delivered today...

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @epretot

I can give an answer in the context of LiFePO4 battery packs but other chemistry types I'm not as familiar with so this may not be accurate if you're using another type of battery.

If individual cells within the battery pack have different internal resistances or different overall capacities or have never been top (or bottom, usually top for solar applications) balanced or weren't of the same State of charge when built then they can have differences in their balance/level of State of charge in relation to each other.

For LiFePO4 the voltage throughout the charging of the battery remains relatively constant. Therefore unbalanced cells are difficult to spot during the main charging phase of battery. However LiFePO4 battery voltages peak when nearly full (starts around 3.45v) and also drop off at almost empty, this is when the imbalance will become apparent.

For this battery chemistry symptoms of unbalanced cells tend to only present themselves when one or more of the cells within the pack is almost full or empty as this is when the voltage peaks/differs from the other cells.

The main symptom I can think of is the BMS (battery manage system aka the safety device) of the battery disconnecting the battery from the system to prevent the peaking cell from being overcharged and damaging it. Most BMS will then have a built in balancer (usually slow) which will discharge the peaking cell(s) into the others eventually balancing them. Most BMS have a voltage at which the balacner will turn on, if you leave it on all the time for LiFePO4 funky things can happen due to the flat voltage curve. ie for LiFePO4 cell 3.2v could mean 20% could also mean 80%, so balancing is only worth while/useful when you're either almost full or almost empty as thats the only time you can correlate State of charge percentage to voltage.

Unbalanced battery packs can therefore result in you receiving less power out of the battery than one that is properly balanced.

Best way to spot if a pack is unbalanced is to check the BMS. Most BMS will have an app or screen that lets you monitor the voltage of each cell which will make it easy to see how out of balance your pack in.

The solution to balancing is usually leaving the battery in absorption phase (full) for a longer period of time to allow the BMS to balance the battery. The length of time can vary per BMS and per balancer built into the BMS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

epretot avatar image
epretot answered ·

Thanks for the reply. I have been experiencing some symptoms that led to that question.

When viewing the graph in the trends section of my BMV, I saw a voltage jump every day at the same window of time every morning. However, I never had any visible symptoms.

Then I had a glitch on the AC side which led me to look at the graph. I saw the voltage jump for two weeks when looking atbthe graph.

Here is what I'm trying to determine.

1. What causes it? Possibly unbalanced batteries.

2. Why does it occur even on shore power?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Might help if you describe your system and the symptoms. At the moment we have nothing to go on.

1 comment
2 |3000

epretot avatar image epretot commented ·

screenshot-20230917-095808.jpgI have a 24v system. (4)206ah batteries series/parallel. 5000w quattro and 1200 watts of solar.

Two 100/50 blue solar charge controllers and a dc/dc power supply.

Everything worked great until the glitches and power failure. Failure happens once every couple of days. Narrowing in on an imbalance...I think.

Also worth noting: I'm installing the auxiliary monitor (smart shunt) to measure midpoint deviation. Also installing a victron battery balancer.

Here is a snapshot of what occurred.img-71661.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Those spikes are odd. Sounds as if you have done a lot of trouble shooting already. Guess you've tried most of what I say below.

Maybe try elimination by disconnecting or turning off parts of the system. Also loads. Are these lithium or AGM batteries? If lithium, they would cause the BMS to cut the batteries for protection. Or could be from the chargers overshooting when a heavy load suddenly disconnects.

Is it happening at specific times?

Do the spikes show on the PV voltage readout?

The battery balancer will equalise between the 12V batteries, but not internal imbalance in lithiums, the BMS should handle that. Only cuts in at 27V. Not clear from the graph what voltage represents fully charged.

3 comments
2 |3000

Lithium.

I have turned both arrays off and this eliminates the spike. The pic posted is an outlier and the highest I have seen. No other spike has exceeded the absorption setting (28.8). When I first set the system up I had the absorption incorrectly set to 29.2 which is the battery disconnect. This likely exacerbated the imbalance.

I set the Float to 28.8 as well for the past 4 days (suggested by someone else) in an attempt to get the batteries to balance themselves.

My next step was to turn on one array and see what happens. Then do the same with the other array. So I'll have that data in another day or two.

The only load I can think is a problem would be a dehumidifier. I didn't notice these problems for the first week we ran the dehumidifier. But if the batteries are getting further out of balance, that could explain the change.

Should I be experiencing these problems even on shore power? Because I am primarily on shore power and yet they keep happening.

0 Likes 0 ·
epretot avatar image epretot epretot commented ·

screenshot-20230920-211705.jpgThis image shows the past 3 days.

Day 1 - Both arrays on

Day 2 - Array 1 on

Day 3 - Array 2 on

The plateau represents the time my panels are in direct sunlight. The voltage never exceeds the absorption setting (28.8).

I'm not certain I have a problem with my arrays or controllers.

Perhaps imbalance is all I'm dealing with. But something is causing glitches once a day.

Am I wrong in believing it's totally normal to have a higher voltage when the sun us up?

Remember, I know very little...

0 Likes 0 ·

To answer your other questions...

Im having difficulty understanding the graphs myself. When I access the charge controllers to view trends, it appears to be missing information.

History is full of data. Again. Doesn't mean much to me.

The charged voltage setting in the BMV is 27.6

Here is a snapshot of the history of one of my controllers. The max voltage is at or above the battery disconnect.

screenshot-20230920-214539.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic