question

heggink avatar image
heggink asked

3 phase ESS mode 2, regulate power per phase?

I have a 3 phase Multiplus II setup (using a Lifepo 840Ah batt) that works well. My house also has pre-existing solar panels that are not entirely evenly distributed across the 3 phases (enphase micro inverters).

Is there a way to control the individual inverters to maximise output per phase rather than as a total grid setpoint? I'd rather not switch to mode 3 with external control. Would be great if I could fully optimise each phase depending on current loads but not sure whether that is supported...

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @heggink

Not sure I fully understand the question but if you're asking for the grid to be balanced at an individual phase level rather than summing the three then I think the setting you're looking for is Multiphase regulation within ESS settings on your GX device. I think you want it to be set to individual phase rather than total of all phases.

1694424497978.png

1694424497978.png (28.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

heggink avatar image
heggink answered ·

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the input. I use the grid setpoint to control the charge and discharge power to my battery. I have a number of external loads (solar panels, car charger) that don't distribute nicely across phases leading to a single phase to be either underutilised for return (because the solar panels don;t distribute evenly across phases) or overloaded (because a single phase device with high draw messes it up).

What would be ideal is that I can set the setpoint for the grid such that it will never exceed my 3x25Amps grid and the victrons manage their input/output depending on what it reads on the grid meter.

Where I struggle is the relation between grid setpoint and multiphase regulation. ANy advice?

Cheers,

H

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @heggink

So you use Ess but you also want to manipulate grid setpoint for individual inverters to cover loads outside the scope of the victron system?

So kind of half external control?

I'm not sure if this is possible. If the loads are known by victron (after grid meter or on ac out side). Then setting multiphase regulation to individual phase in Ess settings should be what you're looking for.

Here's some more detail on how that works but I gather you want to manually manipulate grid setpoint of individual inverters rather than letting victorn do it all.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/multiphase-regulation---further-information.html

2 |3000