question

jeffk avatar image
jeffk asked

Orion Smart 12/12-18 on automobile 15A circuit? Alternatives?

I am trying to use an Orion Smart 12/12-18 charger to charge lithium batteries on my travel trailer through the 7-pin charging pin. However, I found out our 2017 Audi Q7 the pin is fused to 15A, so the Orion blows the 15A fuse (I tried a 20A and it does not blow). I like the lithium profile feature and VE.Networking with the Orion and would like to keep it. I thought of placing a 12|12 15A voltage regulator ahead of it. Would that work? Is there another solution?

As a less desirable alternative I could use the Orion 12|12-9 non-smart charger but it does not have a lithium profile. Could I use it in conjunction with a Victron 100|30 MPPT solar controller and wire it in parallel with the rooftop solar panels?

orion-tr smart
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image Bob K commented ·
That's a lot of extra money and equipment configuration. May I ask why you don't want to run a proper 6 AWG wire from the Q7 battery back to the Orion in your trailer?
0 Likes 0 ·
jeffk avatar image jeffk Bob K commented ·

That's possible but not straightforward. I wanted to avoid trying to figure out a connection point and running wire. The battery sits under the driver's seat and not sure where to route the wire, not to mention adding a connector. I've asked this question in various Q7 groups but it's not a very common tow vehicle and I don't think anyone has attempted it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack jeffk commented ·
Maybe you should ask a car garage.

Since the european 7 pin socket (installed on the left side if the hook) has limits I have choosen a 7 pin truck trailer socket not to mix up the two and nowIi have a permanent PLUS and some extra functions.

Oh, i have a 22 years old Berlingo Diesel and the car garage asked me for 120€ including cables while i have provided the socket and additional fusebox with 6 relais.

1 Like 1 ·
Bob K avatar image Bob K jeffk commented ·
You could also wire directly to the + stud on the alternator and a ground point somewhere on the Q7 frame rather than fishing under the driver's seat to get to the battery.

Barring that, I'd guess some kind of current limiter in front of the Orion would be your only option.

0 Likes 0 ·
jeffk avatar image jeffk Bob K commented ·
Thanks! Yes, that's a better possibility than the battery. I'll see how it goes with the current limiter. I ordered one from China.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers