question

mjsb avatar image
mjsb asked

Sailboat Upgrading

Upgrading from LA to LiPo4 using VE products for info and management. Balmar series 6 alternator 70 amp, 2 200ah LiPo4, VE shunt, VE charger 120v , VE dc / dc charger for 12”v AMG starter.

Goal: install all on a 31 ft sailboat for long weekend cruising. Being able to use an inverter for 2 burner convection cook top, refrigerator, TV at anchor, all other equipment on boat is 12 volt, chargers, lights are all LED, nav instruments, pumps. Solar is in the works but about 6 months away.

Two big unanswered-question regards to charging: dc/dc do I feed him AGM first or the LiPo4.

Size of the inverter charger to run the cooktop that has 1800w & 1200w unit burners.

Also have a VE matters isolator for 3 batteries.

Any help would be appreciated

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming the Balmar is ok for lithium, charge lithium first.

Assuming you're going to run both 'burners' together, you probably need a 5kVA inverter/charger. But check the batteries can handle this and that there is enough spare capacity for other loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dmac001 avatar image
dmac001 answered ·

The series 6 alternators are internally regulated. Do you have an external regulator, such as the Balmar 614 or Wakespeed external voltage regulators where you can set the charge profile? A simple solution is to charge the AGM and use a Victron Orion DC-DC charger for the LFP.

1 comment
2 |3000

mjsb avatar image mjsb commented ·

I have the Balmar 618 multi-stage regulator with the alternator and the Victron Dc-DC charger. Is their any use for the Victron 100amp isolator I purchased prior to considering LFP?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic