question

george-pool avatar image
george-pool asked

My new GlobalLink 520 does not connect

I bought a GlobalLink 520, and it won't connect. Period. It is stuck in an infinite loop between two screens, the "Connecting" box, and then subsequently the "Fetching Data" box. I have been stuck in that for roughly 6 hours now. I am pulling my hair out.

For a company that prides itself in connectivity and ease-of-use, this piece of equipment has really stumped me. All of my equipment is Victron, except the batteries. I have a BlueSolar 150/60Tr attached to a VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle, a 500A/50Mv Smart Shunt, and a Smart Battery Sense.

I can monitor everything in the Victron Connect app through bluetooth, and it works great. The GlobalLink 520 would have allowed me to monitor all this remotely.

After receiving the unit and having done some research prior to purchasing it, I followed the instructions straight out of the box, to the letter. When that didn't work, I rebooted my phone, rebooted the GlobalLink, uninstalled, and then reinstalled the Victron Connect software, I have even driven to a cell phone tower, stood right next to it, and still could not connect. My signal strength was around -55 dBm. I live near Simcoe, Ontario, Canada and according to Bell Canada, LTE-M is active in my area.

I have read about a batch of these units having bad firmware and therefore not connecting. Is this what is happening to my unit? It has all the symptoms. I can't access the unit and therefore am unable to configure it or update the firmware. Heck, I can't even change the pin code. It is unresponsive. It is existing in some kind of infinite vortex of unconnectivity.

The weird thing is that when I go to the VRM portal in a web browser, it sees the unit, but it is only transmitting battery voltage (once every 15 minutes) which I assume is coming from the unit itself seeing it is directly connected to the battery. No other data can be obtained. That is obviously because I am unable to configure it because it is in the earlier-described vortex loop that it cannot get out of. So I have some sort of connection, even though I don't...?

I have talked in great detail to the dealer and although they have been very responsive, they have not been able to resolve this issue either and instead have been referring me to installation videos as well as this forum. I am assuming they are as equally stumped as I am. I have followed all the instructions, and then some.

In a last-ditch effort, I am hoping that someone here can help me get this connected. I really want this to work and am putting every possible effort in it.

I would love to hear from some weathered professionals here who can help this hopeless Victron user on his way.

screenshot-20230725-115408.jpg

screenshot-20230725-115402.jpg

globallink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @George Pool

What type of phone do you have? Is there perhaps a different phone that you can use to try to connect? This might give us some more information.

And can you perhaps create a service report on the failing phone after trying to connect and attach that here in an answer? How to create a service report can be found here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

> I have even driven to a cell phone tower, stood right next to it, and still nothing.

Since you mentioned the GlobalLink shows up in VRM, it does appear to be connected to the Internet correctly. The connection from the VictronConnect app to the GlobalLink is made via Bluetooth Low Energy, while the connection from the GlobalLink to the Internet is made via cellular LTE-M. Problems connecting using the VictronConnect app to the GlobalLink are not related to its cellular connectivity.

> I have read about a batch of these units having bad firmware and therefore not connecting. Is this what is happening to my unit? It has all the symptoms.

No, this does not seem to be the case. The GlobalLink is correctly connecting to VRM, so the cellular connectivity is working and your unit is not affected by the issue you are referring to.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

george-pool avatar image
george-pool answered ·

Hello @Thiemo,

Thank you for your reply and assistance.

I am monitoring all my equipment via Bluetooth on a Samsung S22 Ultra. As everything works great and all the other Victron equipment communicates perfectly through Bluetooth, I very much doubt it has anything to do with the connection itself, or the phone (hardware) for that matter. With that in mind, there might be an incompatibility issue? My phone is up to date on the lastest software; One UI v. 5.1 (android v. 13).

After having communicated my issues for a couple of days with the dealer out of Toronto, and not having been able to troubleshoot and find a solution for the issue, we both agreed that the unit be exchanged. Therefore, it is now with the dealer and I am awaiting a new unit. I therefore cannot run the suggested service report with that unit.

While I await the new unit, are there any suggestions that you can offer me beyond the installation procedures and videos that will ensure the best opportunity for a successful connection?

Thank you!

2 |3000

Hi @George Pool

The GlobalLink is using a completely different Bluetooth Low Energy chip than all our other products and we know this causes different behavior between the GlobalLink and our other products. So it could be your phone might have problems with the GlobalLink and not with other products. Therefore a Service Report is useful when a next GlobalLink also shows these problems. And it is also useful to try with a completely different phone.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

george-pool avatar image
george-pool answered ·

Hello @Thiemo

The Samsung S22 Ultra is the only phone I have.

Is the Bluetooth incompatibility with certain devices hardware or software related? If it is hardware related, I am going to prefer not to get an exchange as to avoid risking similar issues and instead not purchase it at all. The dealer has been helpful, but has indicated that I may be responsible for the cost of returning the (new) unit if I experience similar issues. So if there are known incompatibility issues even with phones as common as the Samsung S22, then I would rather not acquire this equipment and instead wait for Victron to work out the bugs and/or incompatibility issies before I reconsider this purchase.

I await your response and advice on this.

2 |3000

Hi @George Pool

What we have seen so far is that these kinds of problems are mostly consistent for a certain phone, so there is a big chance that a new GlobalLink will show the same behavior.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

george-pool avatar image
george-pool answered ·

@Thiemo, I cancelled the order with the dealer. Once you have tested the GlobalLink 520's compatibility with the Samsung S22, I will reconsider.

I am very surprised that you guys did not fully test the compatibilty with common platforms such as Samsung phones prior to releasing it, especially if you are using new hardware in your devices that utilizes a different type of bluetooth connection. Samsung has used the same type of bluetooth processors for years.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Victron lineup, but I feel you may have missed the ball on this one, or at the very least rushed its release. Especially when you deliberately change the way your devices communicate by introducing new hardware and not fully testing how this functions across the most common platforms.

2 |3000

brynjel-johnsen avatar image
brynjel-johnsen answered ·

Hi

I experience the exact same issue with my Google Pixel 7 pro. The phone connects to my other Victron devices such as a smartshunt and three smartsolar mppt's but the globallink is stuck in this endless loop. When I initially set it up I was able to connect via bluetooth, but I think this issue started after the latest firmware upgrade (v2.06). As the globallink is installed in a remote off-grid cabin I was not able to test with with other phones this weekend, but next time I am there I will bring a deck of different phones and tablets to hopefully connect.

2 |3000

pjw3523 avatar image
pjw3523 answered ·

I also have this exact same problem, tried the rebooting, my Pixel 6 Pro, my Galaxy Tab A7 too, but no luck. Reinstalled the VictronConnect app, forgot and then again paired equipment with my cell phone, all failed to fix the issue. My system is also in a remote cabin and I will try my Windows Laptop when I finally get there again.

I was able to connect one time a year ago when I tried. But I added a Ruuvi sensor to pick up temperature in May of 2023 and have had this same two screen loop since then. Last time I tried was a day ago, September 11, 2023.

System has a SmartSense Battery Monitor and Smart Solar 100/50 Charge Contoller, which work perfectly with the VictronConnect app. But I cannot connect my Ruuvi sensor with the Globallink 520 via bluetooth.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @pjw3523

For your information, VictronConnect on windows does not support Bluetooth. It only connects to products using a VE.Direct USB cable or via de VRM tab. So for the GlobalLink it does not make sense to bring the laptop.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
pjw3523 avatar image
pjw3523 answered ·

Thiemo, if I purchase the VE Direct USB cable would I be able to connect to the globallink 520 and then use that to connect the Ruuvi temperature sensor to the Globallink 520 and ultimately to have VRM show temperature readings at the remote cabin?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @pjw3523

Unfortunately not. The Remote devices functionality can only be setup via the bluetooth connection.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic