question

wannibi avatar image
wannibi asked

Bug report: ESS Throttling

There seem to be a bug in the ESS software. I have posted a question with 2 replies with the same issue and no possible work-arounds or changes I can make. Stumbled across a similar post from 2021.

OS Ver 3.01

ESS enabled

Grid feed-back disabled

ESS modes does not affect the outcome as I have tried all

As soon as the current SOC fall below minimum SOC limit, the mppt throttles down to only max charge current, and source the active loads from the grid. If the SOC limit is manually lowered to below current SOC the MPPT throttles up to max or to match current loads as well as the max charge current.

I only noticed it lately as my electricity meter was changed to prepaid and grid feed-back had to be disabled.

This is quite annoying as I now have to daily manually change the minimum SOC limits to avoid discharging my batteries to low or only having limited solar production to recharge the batteries.

ESSbug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

If you are wanting to keep your batteries fully charged, then maybe play with the grid input limit and set this very low, not sure if you have adjusted that

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wannibi avatar image
wannibi answered ·

The goal is to use the maximum available solar to power current loads whilst keeping the SOC at a set point allowing excess solar to charge the batteries as I am no longer able to return excess to the grid. The system is currently used to produce as much as can be utilised and sourced from the grid only when needed ie. excess, with load-shedding or when pv is insufficient or unavailable at night. Thus limiting grid input basically put me in an off-grid state to which the system is not quite capable of.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Wannibi

Might be battery life that is doing this. It will have the system pass through while it charges up the battery first, then it it will supply to loads.
0 Likes 0 ·
wannibi avatar image wannibi Alexandra ♦ commented ·
No, I have selected "without battery life" as well without any change in outcome. But the programming logic seem to be pass through until minimum SOC is reached without any consideration to excess self consumption.
0 Likes 0 ·
wannibi avatar image
wannibi answered ·

Both "with" and "without" option throttle the MPPT whilst only "keep batteries charged" does not throttle. But the main reason for using a lower than 100% SOC is to harness additional solar by recharging the batteries in times when excess is available that cannot directly be used.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual