question

fordens avatar image
fordens asked

Wind turbine controller to integrate with Lynx BMS?

Hi all,

Getting my hand on the Leading Edge LE-600 wind turbine I would like to connect it to my BMS.

This is a 3 phase wind turbine, so needs a rectifier to a standard DC which I can easily find. But then, I cannot find a dedicated wind controller or easy way to connect to my system.

Anyone a suggestion? MPPT controller like Victron? Dedicated wind charge controller? Brand or model? Any help is very welcome. Cheers

Hydro and Wind Power
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

You will want to find a dedicated regulator for wind turbines. The problem with using something like an MPPT is they go open-circuit once the battery is full. This is fine on a solar panel, but with a wind turbine it will let your turbine freewheel and potentially overspeed. For a wind turbine you need either a diversion regulator (which will dump excess energy into a diversion load) or a dedicated wind controller that will simply short out the turbine, causing it to stall out and stop generating any significant power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fordens avatar image
fordens answered ·

Thanks for your reply,

The Leading Edge website shows a setup with charge controller with load dumper in the same time, but I’m not sure I can connect it directly to BMS Distributor bar? Any opinions? This set up looks like more for classic lead acid batteries but not for lithium ones.

img-2215.jpeg

img-2215.jpeg (401.4 KiB)
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Looking at the website, dose this help? you have this?

le600.jpg

You can do this..

le-600-setup.jpg

and buy Charge Controller

Hope this helps.

le600.jpg (76.7 KiB)
le-600-setup.jpg (148.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

fordens avatar image fordens commented ·
You probably did not read my question.

Once again, the setup on website shows direct connection to the lead acid of flooded batteries (Trojan on the pictures), either with a DL-300 controller by Leading Edge (with integrated heat dumper) or with Tristar 60 with separate dumper.

My question was: can this system work with Lithium batteries as I have to connect directly to the BMS Distributor bar. In this case the wind turbine charges directly into the busbar and the excess of the current is taken away by charge controller, transforming t into heat via resistance.

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill fordens commented ·

Sorry I missed a link out

Leading Edge

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic