question

Mike avatar image
Mike asked

Can I use a Centaur directly from Solar?

On our boat we have a nice system.
2.3kw of Solar to a Fronius inverter which is AC coupled to a Quattro. This goes to 1000ah of lithium batteries. And is monitored and controlled by a cerbo gx.

It has AC inputs from shore power and a 6kva generator.

There is a centaur 12/80 from a previous setup. I have just read that the centaur will accept 80-400v DC input. The Solar comes in at about 150v DC The Solar has Tigo optimisers on every panel which kind of do mppt .

My question is, can I connect the centaur to the Solar as a backup system?

It may not be the best most efficient, but I have the equipment already, and as a backup it may be handy to do…

From the manual, it seem that a centaur will accept both AC and DC input voltage

”Universal 90-265V AC input voltage range and also suitable for DC supply (AC-DC and DC-DC operation)

All models will operate without any adjustment needed over a 90 to 265 Volt input voltage range, whether 50 Hz or 60 Hz.

The chargers also accept a 90-400 V DC supply.”

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

NO that would not work

as the solar output is DC and the centaur would require AC input

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike avatar image Mike commented ·

The manual states that the centaur can accept DC input supply,

Universal 90-265V AC input voltage range and also suitable for DC supply (AC-DC and DC-DC operation)

All models will operate without any adjustment needed over a 90 to 265 Volt input voltage range, whether 50 Hz or 60 Hz.

The chargers also accept a 90-400 V DC supply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Well Mike I was not aware of that, All I can suggest is give it a go, if it works great.

I have never had the need for a DC supply .

I have now reread the spec sheets and From what they say It should work

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic